Edelbrock 2701 EPS

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Im toying with the idea of replacing the GM spreadbore designed ZZ4 intake, i dislike the choke/egr pads, currently not used and blocked off anyway and i only plan on running with holley squarebore carburetors, both intakes run idle to 5500rpm... worthwhile venture or waste of money?

ZZ4(pic 1) / Edelbrock(pic 2)

Attachments

• ZZ4 intake top.jpg
    ZZ4 intake top.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 32
  • Edelbrock 2701 EPS.jpg
    Edelbrock 2701 EPS.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 32

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
If your only going to run square bore carbs it can be useful because no adaptors needed. I just did this and the intake sets higher so i had to get a drop base for my air cleaner.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I would say if you didn’t have an intake the eps is a good choice. But since you have one, I would put an adapter plate and use what’s there.

Reactions: 1 user

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
The zz4 is supposedly one of the best flowing dual planes even though it's a dated design. I had it on a stout 359 with a 760 street avenger with a 1" spacer(square bore) and it ran great and kept pulling past 5500 rpm easily. The eps seemed similar to a performer or stock intake. Not worth swapping unless you're going to an rpm air gap in my opinion. Yes the egr crap is ugly and so are the heat x-overs, and the spread bore base... I've been there, but at the end of the day I regret selling my zz4 intake.

• Agree

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Because of the spreadbore design on the ZZ4 intake... there is a squarebore adapter plate in between the carb and intake with gaskets sandwiched in between.

It works fine, no vacuum leaks, but i'd really prefer a squarebore intake without the heated choke and egr pad... and besides, either wouldnt be functional anyways, the "113" heads i have do not have a heated crossover opening.

Example pictures, not mine.

Attachments

• ZZ4 113 no heat crossover 2.jpg
    ZZ4 113 no heat crossover 2.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 30
  • ZZ4 113 no heat crossover.jpg
    ZZ4 113 no heat crossover.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 37

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
You can run an open squarebore spacer or 4 hole spacer also, it doesn't have to be a square bore to spread bore. Regardless, you're better off sticking with the zz4 bowtie intake.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Carb adaptors are a band aid fix and interfer with airflow, often causing tuning issues. Really the intake manifold should be matched with the type of carb. Moreover, factory Qjets are generally superior to aftermarket Johnny fits all carbs, especially for any kind of street driving.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'm another vote for keeping the ZZ intake, especially if paired with a proper Quadrajet. I understand if it's purely a cosmetic choice though. We drive cars, not dyno sheets. If you prefer the cleaner look of the non-EGR Edelbrock, you've probably already made up your mind. Honestly, you'll probably run out of head flow before you notice an intake deficit.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor