Edelbrock 1407 off idle bog

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hey guys I have an off idle bog in some cases, usually from a stop with a slight incline, especially with a turn involved.

Floats are confirmed at 7/16. Idle screws set with vaccuum gauge. Accel pump set to longest stroke (rich) Accel pump nozzle changed to richest (43 i think it was). I thought the nozzle change would have cured it but it didnt.

I have a mechanical choke so I just did some road testing. With some light choke (maybe 1/2 choke or slightly less) there is NO bog when there normally would be. Takes off like a rocket. As soon as I’m going (where it would normally smooth out) it studders, i open choke blade (push knob back in) and I’m off. This tells me I am still LEAN.

I am a little confused by the manual. Would this be my idle circuit or my primary circuit?? What should I do next to richen my off idle mixture??

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
From behind the keyboard it sounds like the main circuit seeing how idle screws are set with a vacuum gauge. I'd set them with a wideband myself as long as I still had a good transition off of idle. I don't see the point in tuning a carb without a wideband period anymore. Anything less is guesswork and it's not like they're difficult to get ahold of. Then you'll know where your cruise, part throttle, and WOT AFRs are and not chase your tail using one to correct another. Sure you can lean out your cruise AFR, but if you don't advance timing to match you won't gain anything from it. And the only way to know how lean you are is if you have a gauge telling you just that.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
From behind the keyboard it sounds like the main circuit seeing how idle screws are set with a vacuum gauge. I'd set them with a wideband myself as long as I still had a good transition off of idle. I don't see the point in tuning a carb without a wideband period anymore.
Thank you. Wideband is an option that I looked into but i’d like to put it aside at the moment. I think a reliable one does cost some money and really I’d have to do all kinds of stuff to be happy with the install. Further, i have read they can become distracting, and I know for sure that would be an issue for me. I am very close with this and would like to stick with conventional methods at this point in time.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Spring kit... Something like this. Let's you fine tune metering.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231008-135923.png
    Screenshot_20231008-135923.png
    787.7 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Try.... Change your springs. It's lean coming into transition.
I read springs should be half your vaccuum. I have 16” at idle and using the silver 8” springs. Are you saying go lighter on the spring? I think silver is the heaviest

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Try to richen idle 1/4 turn each and see if bog goes away.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor