Edelbrock Carburetors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piper5314

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 7, 2016
Question.........Has anyone ever run one of these carburetors successfully? I mean.....it really run like it should, like a new car would. No gas smell in the garage, no flooding hard starts, smooth acceleration ect.....

I personally have seen a lot of these on cars, I also have seen many of these junked while still relatively new, due to drivability issues described above. I known people to even buy the extensive trick kit with all the rods, jets, and springs, and still end up pulling the carb for something else.

People with knowledge chime in....

Thanks

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
About 10 years ago my friend and I had an '83 Monte Carlo with a '70, 350. We had an Edelbrock Air Gap Intake and a 600cfm Edelbrock carburetor. It always worked great. Another friend had a '81 Trans Am with a junk yard 350 and a 600 Edelbrock. His ran fine too. We drove them rain or shine, summer and winter. Never had any problems. The same friend who had the '83 Monte also had a '89 or '90 Chevy truck that started having trouble with the TBI. He replaced the throttle body intake with a carb intake and an Edelbrock carb. It ran fine also. They've been pretty good in my experience.

Quadrajet Power

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 20, 2016
Waring, TX
They are good street driving carbs. They tend to bolt on and run in most stock engine setups pretty well. They are the old Carter AFB style used in early 60's. They are easy to get in new form so they are popular.
Use caution though on a modified engine and on high rpm pulls as in stock form they tend to have a reverse fuel curve and can become very lean without some modifications.
I still like the Quadrajet, but of course I would say that!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I have an edelbrock in my 79 cutlass and i think its a good carb for a stockish motor. Very easy to work on and easy to get parts, I've had no issues with mine. It accelerates well and it hasn't given me any problems since I've used it. So for the past 6 years it has been a good carb and hasn't left me stranded on the side of the road. I think people start running into problems with modded powerplants.

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
I had 6 elderbrock carbs ranging from 600 cfm to 650 and couldn't get any to work well longer than 5 minutes once you adjust them. come to find out once I torn the top off they all had been issues from holes in the floats and jets not machined properly or metal shavings from not being cleaned before put in a box to sell. so I swap to a quickfuel carb and haven't had any issues since. all I did was adjust idle on the quickfuel and haven't touch it since

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Edelbrocks are good for people who don't know much about how carbs work, how they are on the inside, or just outright need something to work for cheap. Quadrajets are the best all around carb if you know how to work them, and Holley's are the best all out race carb. Holley 600cfm single inlet is my personal fav carb, second only to a late 70s Buick qjet.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I have rebuilt hundreds of carbs as I was a driveabilty tech for years. I have to say the Quadrajet is the best pick. Why put early 60's ..maybe 50's technology on your car? The fuels today are designed for fuel injection and not carbs so that is something to take into consideration. That being said the Quadrajet is best suited for original to near original engines. Now....that being said(I love that phrase:) When I put my 300 HP crate motor in I am going...Dare I say it ..a Holley 650. Easy to tweak with jets and power valves. Gasket issues have been remedied. But still love a Quadrajet. If you have a Quadrajet that you love and the base is worn out and allows the throttle shaft to stick, bind or create an idle issue I have an awesome fix.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Skitter302

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2014
USA, WA
I didn't like my stock Q-jet so when the floats sunk I ditched it and grabbed a Edelbrock 1406 for my Rocket 350. I put that carb on in March of 2014 and havn't tuned or cleaned it. Just bolt and go havn't bothered even inspecting it for signs of trouble. I have been daily driving the car for basically 2 years now free of carb troubles.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Edelbrocks are touchy about float levels. They really need a heat insulator shield and or gasket. They can be a good driver carb for stock or mild engines. The later version AVS allows you to adjust how the secondaries come in, the Carter/Edelbrock AFB has a weighted butterfly that is pulled open with air rushing past the butterfly...you would have to grind or drill the counter weights to get it to come in faster. They don't leak. You an adjust the metering rods (jetting) without taking the carb off or apart.

They work, they work better if you tune them with the kits.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
My old 403 and my 350 (olds) both ran the same 1406 600cfm edelbrock for years with only a quick gasket rebuild. Who knows if they were messed with, I just put back what came out, oh, and someone went through the trouble of milling the choke provision off the air horn. I drove that car from 100* summers to 0* winter mornings. It took a little pumping and warm up time in the cold, but once warm, it always ran well. I have a 750 edelbrock now, took a tuning kit to rejet the primaries for cruising, but it works good for now. In the long term though, it'll be replaced with a holley style carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor