El Camino Rear Glass Windshield Rattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
My 85 Conquista has developed a loud rattle when driving on rough pavement, the rear glass seems to bounce up and down. Makes a heck of a racket. The rubber seal looks OK but you can wiggle the whole windshield around with your hands. I guess I need to replace the seal but don;t have a shop manual to guide the process.

Has anyone else had this problem?

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
not much if any - the car is from west Texas dry desert. Plenty of sun-baked plastic crumbling away but very little corrosion

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
that window doesn't have a "seal" per say.it's held in by buytl tape.it's a non hardening sealant.when the tape is new(er)it's firm and pliable.your best bet is pull the glass clean it up and reseal it.the last thing you want is for that window to break.

Reactions: 1 users

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
thanks for the input, can you tell me how to remove the molding around the window? I have trim tools and just re-sealed my 68 Camaro rear window

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
thanks for the input, can you tell me how to remove the molding around the window? I have trim tools and just re-sealed my 68 Camaro rear window
I use nylon pry tools to get the trim off my cars.
1581904263663.png

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I'm not sure what tool you used on the f-body but i used a regular window molding tool.the clips are plastic,they all broke.rightfully so they get brittle with time.basically the idea is to slide it under the trim and locate the clips.fish around side to side along the glass find them.once you find them you almost pivot/rock the tool towards the center of the glass.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor