El camino rear widebody& raised rear quarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Sounds like you need a triple action hinge system. Pop it up, slide it back ( to clear the roof) , then tilt to the side. The hood on the big FWD Buicks in 84 up did the first two functions. I have no doubt that you’ll figure it out to be just like your hood invention.

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Man you always got some crazy good ideas going

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
You're going to have to make it seriously strong if you're planning on making it tip to the side. I've hauled a few 5' X 5' Sprint Car wings in my Camino and the side loads, even at low speeds, were greater than I could have imagined.

Bill

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Sideload winds are an untested concern, that's the kind of stuff I'm trying to figure in here. But I do have some serious punched & flared bracing already, just will need more of it. What I'm picturing for the mechanism is the sort of hinges I posted, but mounting them at a 45 degree angle to lift & angle back. That could be the simplest way to do the needed motion & be simple to mechanize. Possibly a linkage bar between 2 hinges to 1 fast actuator.
Could also drive it with cover partway up for small stuff & not full upright for larger stuff.
I do still have a pop & slide mechanism, had one up front before this hood.;)
As much as I do have customized styling, some of it is for sheer functionality, such as the extra height to the bed. Same thought for the bedcover. It ain't heavy, but by yourself lifting over the truck , it's a pain.

Last edited:

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Hadn't worked on my truck in over 10 months & hadn't went to any shows since march. Last couple months had to set up & move into another work truck &set up another work truck not finishing mine, all while starting to help move my company to a new location. won't have any free time till next year. You can see a little of the new work truck// el camino support vehicle ;) in pics.
Free local church's large annual car show was today, so hosed it off & finally got out to something we call normal. So nice to get out when ya hadn't in a while.
20200925_201400.jpg
20200925_201050.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Hopefully you'll get some more enjoyment out of it this season than last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor