HELP Elco 83 - 231 v6 3.8L gm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
You picked one heck of an oddball to buy knowing what the requirements were going to be on the back end.

231 is the buick motor. 229 is the chevy 3.8 and, although both were used, way fewer units shipped with the buick.

I'm not going to get involved with what you do, or how, but ill say that 1) the firewall metal and climate box was the same on all the gbodies of a given year, 2) the accessories changed year to year (ie a 1983 wiper motor won't match a 1985 wiper motor, or 1983 cruise control won't match 1984), 3) you probably are NOT going to find original engine stickers showing vin on a 1983 3.8 valve cover in a el camino because the stickers due to design weren't as durable as the later years, and lastly, 4) I don't know anyone who is going to want their vin number used to have a title issued, ON THEIR VIN, in someone else's name in some other country. Sorry.

If you've got the cash to come over here, buy a car, ship it home, etc, then your best option is to take another trip out, buy a $500 junker that has what you need, then use it and scrap it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
7844050002_large.jpg

Here's a rando pic off google. Use your VIN, and done.

Reactions: 1 user

PsychoBen

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 4, 2018
France
Your Alittle new to the site to be asking for such big favours. People get in trouble for stuff like this, so to be honest l can't see anyone helping but hey ya never know!
thanks, i'm just trying to get out of this "papers stufff"...

PsychoBen

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 4, 2018
France
You picked one heck of an oddball to buy knowing what the requirements were going to be on the back end.

231 is the buick motor. 229 is the chevy 3.8 and, although both were used, way fewer units shipped with the buick.

I'm not going to get involved with what you do, or how, but ill say that 1) the firewall metal and climate box was the same on all the gbodies of a given year, 2) the accessories changed year to year (ie a 1983 wiper motor won't match a 1985 wiper motor, or 1983 cruise control won't match 1984), 3) you probably are NOT going to find original engine stickers showing vin on a 1983 3.8 valve cover in a el camino because the stickers due to design weren't as durable as the later years, and lastly, 4) I don't know anyone who is going to want their vin number used to have a title issued, ON THEIR VIN, in someone else's name in some other country. Sorry.

If you've got the cash to come over here, buy a car, ship it home, etc, then your best option is to take another trip out, buy a $500 junker that has what you need, then use it and scrap it.

You may don't know how difficult is to have US cars back in EU.
so the only way we have here is that way.
"if" someone would be in trouble in this story, it's me and my entire responsibility.
and as all the US cars Lovers here in Europe its the risk to take if you wanna ride those cars.
;)

84 El Camino 231

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2018
Gees guys, just send him the photos he needs to get his car legitimized. Hey OP, I have a registered, running and driving California emissions EL Camino 1984 with original 231 and TH-250C auto transmission installed, I did remove the air pump from the right front of engine. I can send you whatever photos you may need, just let me know.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'd hope so too.

FWIW, I'm reading your 3800 swap thread now, b/c I have a complete wrecked '99 Camaro 3800 auto trans I wanna transplant into an 81 El Camino.
GOOD LUCK! I have a bunch of diagrams/pinouts if you need them. Eliminating the A/C will make it a breeze; I had to be hardheaded and make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor