Electric fan bypass switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
to have the fans shut down when you shut down the car you have to have the power to the fans on a switched cucuit meaning the power will come on only when the car is running or the key is in run position.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
gotcha, mine are controlled by sending unit and relays. Looking for a timer
You can use a time delay relay from a 94-98 Dodge Ram to give you 90 or so seconds of run time after the ignition is turned off.

Those relays are used for the halo light around the ignition switch and can be found in the fusebox.

Reactions: 1 users

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Okay what led me to this was in instructions for fan wiring they mention to hook 12vpower to relay to be always on. This made no sense because (temp sender which grounds to complete circuit and power fans is in intake manifold rear water passage on driver side) would run for a long time to satisfy temp to below 175. however I knew on turbo cars such as Gran Natls they had a timer to run fans after shutdown...I thought I was led to believe they only really ran in an effort to cool turbo down because they were notorious for baking oil in turbo if left hot which led to startup of dry turbo and eventual failure. So all and all if it was real easy to add timer to my current fan relay setup to run after shutdown for about 2-3mins it seemed like a good idea...however it seems pretty difficult and/or expensive so I will be wiring them to power on in acc and run only. Thank you all for input and support👍🏻

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
You might want to consider wiring it for run only. I had mine set up like that for a while, and it was annoying having the fans come on any time i turned the key to accessory to listen to the radio.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
You might want to consider wiring it for run only. I had mine set up like that for a while, and it was annoying having the fans come on any time i turned the key to accessory to listen to the radio.
Its funny you would say that bc my father just siad the same thing

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
side question. Is it possible to wire a ground switch to illuminate? What I mean is can I get light to light when switch is in the on position while only switching ground? regular illuminated switch like in picture

40F1E35A-679B-4850-A984-F265BF2B0CC2.png

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
side question. Is it possible to wire a ground switch to illuminate? What I mean is can I get light to light when switch is in the on position while only switching ground? regular illuminated switch like in picture

View attachment 92974
With a switch + a relay you can. Switch controls relay, relay switches ground wire on/off.

• Agree

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
With a switch + a relay you can. Switch controls relay, relay switches ground wire on/off.
I originally wanted to do that but SPAL recommends only using ground switch and not interrupting 12volt

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I originally wanted to do that but SPAL recommends only using ground switch and not interrupting 12volt

Spal recommends using a relay to turn on their fans. I don't think they care if you use a relay to turn on/off the relay that turns on their fans.

The ground wire being switched is the thermal switch ground, not the fan ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor