Electric "Muscle" Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
On a large scale, the current renewables generate a pitiful amount. As a homeowner I want to toy with it more, but I think geothermal is a bit out of reach. Not to save the planet or any of that hype, rather to reduce my dependence to the greatest extent possible. Of course there'll be a propane generator waiting in the wings if none of that pans out and the grid goes down.
We could harvest the methane from all the cows and have that too. ;)

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Climate change is not a hoax
Econ 101, supply demand etc.
The sky is not falling.

Climate change is a rallying point simple enough to on-board the majority of the citizenry - a soundbite and a 'feeling'. To imagine that the infinitely complex system, of which the atmosphere is a component, may be 'tuned' with a knob (CO2 concentration) is a grave over-simplification meant for mass consumption with the goal of mass alignment behind a modern day spin of Rudyard Kipling's "white man's burden".

I don't need to believe 'climate science' to agree that we should phase-out the 24/7 combustion of carbon-based fuels using the 'free' oxidizer in the atmosphere - there are "tragedy of the commons" arguments that work better for me. I became a nuclear engineer 20 years ago because I understood the big picture before it became fashionable - I have been a Master of Science since 2004 and only became a 'Denier of Science' in 2020. There are countless problems in the world, many involving water and common resources like fisheries - none of them have the public rising to them like the beat of the climate change drum. It is reasonable to view the world's experts with strong suspicion; in my own realm (energy) I see only peers, not authority. Had I chosen to go into government, I could be on that dole like the rest of the experts. You might not actually see that with your specialization - you may just be a consumer of information.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Climate change isn’t a hoax. The scientists caught with their finger on the scale of the severity factor of the effects of climate change are the issue for me. When the data can’t stand on its own merits and has to have a little help just makes me question the validity of the data. Whichever direction it goes.

Those that believe the hype will believe the hype and those that don’t won’t. So there’s no debate. No point. I totally agree the sky isn’t falling. Every single person who said the sky is falling and the world will end in 7 years (going back decades) has been wrong so far. I guess eventually they’ll be proven right but what do they win when they are?

Again jmo. Yours may vary.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Climate change isn’t a hoax. The scientists caught with their finger on the scale of the severity factor of the effects of climate change are the issue for me.

This 100%. Humans don't need to exist for the climate to change, but to think our activity does not have consequences is ignorant. Quantifying the latter instantly turns political so good luck getting a straight answer there.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
On a large scale, the current renewables generate a pitiful amount. As a homeowner I want to toy with it more, but I think geothermal is a bit out of reach. Not to save the planet or any of that hype, rather to reduce my dependence to the greatest extent possible. Of course there'll be a propane generator waiting in the wings if none of that pans out and the grid goes down.
You could certainly reduce your heating/cooling burden with geothermal. Can you install a system for an amount that would be less than or equal to paying a $350/month energy bill - considering the time-value of money? I just paid a $500 electric bill - it hurts, but not worth financing $70k worth of solar panels or leasing them from a company I allow to put holes in my $45k roof. Maybe I should run the pool filter for fewer hours and turn the thermostat up to 78.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
You could certainly reduce your heating/cooling burden with geothermal. Can you install a system for an amount that would be less than or equal to paying a $350/month energy bill - considering the time-value of money? I just paid a $500 electric bill - it hurts, but not worth financing $70k worth of solar panels or leasing them from a company I allow to put holes in my $45k roof. Maybe I should run the pool filter for fewer hours and turn the thermostat up to 78.

Some cursory googling and Youtubing puts a DIY solar system somewhere more in the 20-30k range. Assuming they last 30 or so years like they say, and given the cost of electricity back in MI, the payback would probably be in the 10 years or less mark. Also consider that electricity probably isn't going to get any cheaper if/when they roll out the carbon tax. Geothermal heating/cooling is definitely on my radar, I've seen them dig the tube, but I need to do more research into the exchanging of that heat (air/radiant?) and how many BTUs to expect. Standing alone, I doubt it'll heat a house to 80 when it's 0 outside and conversely it probably won't get the house down to 60 in the summer when it's 90+ out. The question then becomes, if it's there to augment regular utilities, will there be an actual savings? Or did I just carry out an expensive time consuming science project? I have a few years yet to run the numbers. For now, I'm just trying to get my hands on a few undeveloped acres.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
As always, it's ROI. Will dividends be paid back in a reasonable time on whichever "system" you use, whether it be ICE, EV, geothermal, solar, pick whatever you like? Break even points are good to estimate for these ROI's as well. Say, you're 75 years old, and you won't see a break-even point for 20 or 30 years, would it be worth it? Maybe if you're 35, probably not 75. Gotta do the math for your family and situtation. Unless you just like paying for stuff. Stuff like this shouldn't be a decision made from emotion or nostalgia as you would by tossing money at your favorite G-body. Lord knows we've all spent money (aka wasted) on our cars and received no dividend or negative cash flow. But we didn't mind that much because...G-body.

Don't make a potential wrong choice, either. What you think you're getting may not be there in 5 years. For example, how many solar panel companies make them in the U.S. that could keep up with a wholesale demand? Maybe a handful at the moment. That could change though. LG (Korea) claims they're stopping production this year if they hadn't already but I haven't kept up with that. If the materials or components are made in say, China, and things go sideways with them in a few years, you may not get replacement parts until they take over. If they lose, the factories would probably be destroyed so you still won't get them. Or, we'll all be destroyed and it won't matter.

I've probably mentioned this before, but when I was on submarines in the Navy back in the 80s, the rule was NO replacement parts would be foreign-sourced. Reasoning behind it was mentioned in the previous paragraph. I was replacing a Kunkle brand 2" blot-on fuel oil relief valve for the ship's emergency diesel (I think it was just a wore out OEM one from 1963) and when I got the new one out of the box it had Japanese/English writing all over the tags. WTF? Wasn't even a Kunkle brand valve. The flange bolt holes wouldn't line up right (recall this was the 80s before Japanese manufacturing became very good). I went back to the supply guys and it was the correct NSN part number on the tag. They had to fly an old, dusty NOS one from Norfolk to us (Those Air Force guys were good for something). Bolted right up. Apparently, something went haywire and we ended up with a foreign-sourced valve. Later, the supply officer told me that I opened up a big can of worms for him. I told him I surely didn't. I just wanted to finish the job but the new part wouldn't fit and we had to get one that did.

We've got aspirations to downsize and move from our current home in about 5-10 years, so we're just going to roll with the electric company's bills for electricity until then. Maybe if we build a new house we may look into what is available then, because at this point, I don't think anyone knows for sure where we'll be with all this. Geothermal looks interesting, but I haven't done much research in return cost-viability. But the maintenance SEEMS like it wouldn't be difficult at first blush. Evolution should come more naturally with choices.

Meddling with those choices to get your own desired outcome means the messaging is falling flat. Or maybe your desired choice isn't the best one for the moment.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
alt-right media stars

Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor