Electric park brakes on a G-body? Anybody done the conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
Electric park brakes on a G-body? Anybody done the conversion? If so, what vehicle and parts do I need to scavenge from? Pics would be handy....

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Not sure ive ever heard of a Gbody with that, would be interesting though. I think a simple cable is pretty much the most failsafe thing. Sometimes overdoing it can be bad

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You can't modulate an electric parking brake, they are on or off. I don't like the foot pedal emergency brake so when I stuck in a manual transmission I installed a 4th gen F body emergency brake system.

Reactions: 1 users

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
In my instance there is a tangle of exhausts/mufflers, adjustable rear-link bars, frame bracing and inboard coilovers around the rear axle......just wanted to investigate the idea before figuring out how to fit the park brake..........was maybe over-thinking the situation.

Reactions: 1 user

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
Just dragging this back up......anybody prepared to crawl under their car and take a pic of how the park brake cables are routed underneath? I made the mistake of giving all the parts away with the rear axle so now have to start again with all the bits and pieces.....pics of the various clips and brackets would be good too......cheers

GbodyL.Sguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2017
Ohio
Electric park brakes on a G-body? Anybody done the conversion? If so, what vehicle and parts do I need to scavenge from? Pics would be handy....

Not sure if you found the answer you were looking for but Speedway Motors and Amazon sell this kit its called;
E-Stopp Push Button Electric Emergency Brake Kit With Billet Button / ESK001
Thats what its called on Amazon was looking into doing a hydro ebrake but its a temporary disc or drum brake holder and I need a more permanent hold in case I'm parked somewhere for extended periods of time. Looks pretty dope and has good reviews sorry for a late reply but it might help someone else out.

GbodyL.Sguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2017
Ohio
still cobbling the idea together....bought a 4" actuator off ebay and will attempt to make it work....still hoping for pics of where the cables are routed underneath...

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=112887896341

Hell yeah keep us updated on trials and errors that type of engineering is way out of my league lol. And i would get you pics of my cables but they're long gone all i have is the pedal, have you tried summit racing or jegs for some lokar cables they'll get you in the ballpark far as the length of cable you might need but they are expensive.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I will admit I am not a fan of electric actuation of the parking/emergency brake as it is a safety issue should you have to stop the car after losing hydraulic brakes or electrical power. Working in the field I know that Volkswagen and Audi use electric actuators on the rear calipers and they are a real pain when replacing pads. BMW has used a hybrid electric motor pulling the cables on the rear calipers. This was on the older 7 series and they mounted the motor in a shallow well in the forward section of the trunk.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor