Emissions Got Me Frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarends

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2011
Texas
Im new to this forum and new owner of a 86' Cutlass Supreme Brougham 307. The car is pretty nice considering its got what looks to be a brand new engine and maybe transmission too, with alll new parts mainly. New alt, water pump, fan clutch, fuel pump, wires, cap, all over the engine looks new. Only problem is, well besides that someone sloppily removed the soft top, is that all the emissions equipment is either removed or out of service. My question is, where do i get all the emissions stuf that im missing? Also do i really need it? The car runs pretty good, will run fine going down the road but seems kinda sluggish around 1/2 to 2/3's throttle. Im not sure if its not having emissions doing that or not. It also just started idling up here earlier... it might just be stuck float or something? Has done this before and wouldnt idle back down till it sat for a while and then it was just fine. Any ideas greatly appreciated.....

If you're not in California ditch the emissions equipment. As for being sluggish, start with some carb cleaner and go from there.

Im not worried bout emis testing, im in country but i want car to run properly. If the emissions being gone is going to make it run rough ill search out the parts i need to put them back on properly. If its not too much trouble id like to just leave it how it is and compensate for not having the items. I heard i need a non CC q-jet and non CC dist. Where are best places to get these items and is there any other car i can pull them off of to get them cheaper?

You should be able to run the computer without the emissions equipment (as far as I know) as long as everything is tuned properly. Don't go buying new parts until you have abetter idea of whats not working correctly.

Man it really sounds like it could be a whole lot of things. Vaccum leaks come to mind with the high idle. I think you would be better off getting rid of every piece of emissions junk on that car. A non CC carb and distributor are not hard to find. Hit up a junk yard for an HEI that is pre cc. Shouldnt be more than 30 bucks. As far as a carb I would find something else than a quadrajet. Nothing wrong with them other than I dont know anybody that can tune them. You could pick up a used edelbrock 500 or 600 CHEAP.

According to the Clean Air Act, you need it. But that only matters if you live in an area that keeps track of your car's emissions. It's an 'all or nothing" deal with older CCC systems with feedback carbs..Well..besides cats. If the car has a functiong catalytic converter on it, you definitly want to at least have the AIR system intact. The biggest thing that people overlook when they randomly start yanking off emissions stuff is the distributor. They leave the one in place that still uses the ECM to control the advance. It needs to be a <1981 unit with a vaccum advance port. They are available reman at NAPA or any other decent parts store. If you want some high end stuff, check out http://www.performancedistributors.com/.. I run one of their units on my ZZ4.

Well i dont have functioning cats, it was factory duals, but now its brand new dual pipes with no cats and 2 flowmaster 40's and welded on tips at the back; thanks to the previous owner. It sounds great. Car already has all the emisions stuff removed or bypassed. From what ive been told its totaly emissions free but still has original dist and carb. The car runs fine as long as your not stepping on it, if you do it just kinda lacks power. I know these motors arent ment to have much power but my bros got a 84 4 door with a 3.8L and i drove his compared to mine and seems like that little V6 might outrun my V8. Somethings not quite right, ill check around more for vacum leaks but ive already looked and didnt find any. Is it possible that all my issues are leading from needing that Non-CC dist and carb? Im pretty sure i need a fuel filter replacement too. May also need transmission serviced but it shifts good enough normally. It does seem to draw out second a little further than needs to. Im happy to have gotten the car tho, overall its going to be a good project. Absolutely no rust on the car anywhere. Im surprised not even the gas tank has any surface rust. It looks nice underneath, the car came from San Antonio, TX so maybe its good environment for cars.

You I can honestly say I have never had a CC carb and distributor work right when I have gotten a car. I always eliminated both to avoid them as a possibility for problems. If the emissions stuff isnt there maybe its feeding the computer some false signals or something I dont know. Like I said I always just get rid of them.

If you're running the CCC system, you need to run the EGR valve and EGR solenoid. AIR system does NOT have to be used whether you have cats or not. No other emmission devices need to be used and will not effect drivabilty. There were no 'factory duals' on any G-body car unless you count the lame 'fake duals' on the performance models.

Keep what you have and tune everything up correctly. Get a chassis service manual.

The first thing you need to do is check for vacuum leaks and check your timing. I'll bet you your timing isn't set properly.

DoubleV said:
If you're running the CCC system, you need to run the EGR valve and EGR solenoid. AIR system does NOT have to be used whether you have cats or not. No other emmission devices need to be used and will not effect drivabilty. There were no 'factory duals' on any G-body car unless you count the lame 'fake duals' on the performance models.

Keep what you have and tune everything up correctly. Get a chassis service manual.

The first thing you need to do is check for vacuum leaks and check your timing. I'll bet you your timing isn't set properly.

EGR is not in play, from what ive been told. The owner b4 me said it had factory duals but maybe hes wrong. I havent checked the timing, i dont have a timing light. Ill have my father set it by ear, hes pretty good at it. I have a Haynes manual but a whole lotta good they do. Ill do some more tinkering and see what it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor