Enclosed Trailer Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfox

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2012
I am looking to purchase a enclosed trailer. I have been looking for a few weeks and narrowed it down to a few and would like some feedback from anyone who has one or knows about these brands.
Sure Trac
Homesteader
ATC
CarMate

I know the ATC is not comparing Apples to Apples to the others but any feedback on any of these would be great.

I am thinking of a 22 or 24 foot
10K load
Torsion Axles
Escape Door
Torn on Standard or Spread Axle.

Thank you all

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Lots of trailers are produced by one of a few large manufacturers and just branded differently. We bought a 8.5x20 v nose with a few options. Way cheaper than local retailers even with the drive. These come stock with many things that are optional on other rigs. V nose, RV style door latch, the man door itself, etc. We put 12" on center floors and a step up in axle capacity. Lots more options to be had as well. I'd buy another one from them. https://www.usacargotrailersales.com/in-stock-trailers/

Reactions: 1 user

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I have a stealth enclosed 26’ v front. The v helps significantly with mileage, but it’s single digits either way. As for your brands, I can’t speak to any of them but a few features make them really useful. 10k torsion axles are a must if you plan to actually haul vehicles. Drivers side door is nice if you will drive vehicles in/out. I put a screw-in ball hitch in the floor to mount the winch to for dead vehicles. Lots of heavy duty D rings in the floor tied into the frame structure. Finally, lots of LED lighting inside and out if you plan on using it at night. They’re a useful tool for a lot of different things.

mccormack944

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2018
Ohio
We have a 24' v-nose diamond for the race car, works very well for us and we've put probably 20k miles on it in the last 2 seasons and no non self inflicted issues with it. We put a really nice tire rack that will hold 10 mounted 27.5x8 tires, a few cabinets, wired up a few led lights and ts been great. What you choose really depends on what you want to do. Do you want the race car package with all the fancy cabinets, bench, built in tool box, generator etc? Tire rack, winch mounting, location of tie down hooks, winch mounting area, etc all play into it. Like superbon54 said if you're gonna want to drive your car in/out a driverside door to help get in/out is a real nice option. Just make sure you think about everything you may want before you order one.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
ATC is the one I recognize and is one of the premiere trailers. You are going to get what you pay for and the upper level trailers retain more money if cared for. I would go with the 24ft and 10k of course. In your better trailers it will have Torsion axles. I'm not a fan of the spread axle it's a lot harder on tires and more $$ - google it for more opinions. I've never had an escape door and you need to know your car is high enough (door opening) to use it. I would put that money towards a wench. I've owned a couple Owen Classics (Dominator) and been pleased (I believe they are out of business). I've also have 2 Vintage Outlaws and can't say enough about their service. I ordered my last one through K B Trailers in Ohio, best price and cater to racers (check their wedsite). Although I never went there everything was done on line and I was able to pick the trailer up @ Vintage in Earhart IN. saving money. I prefer a flat roof because of dirt and single latch doors. Any specific questions just ask. Oh ya an extended tongue is nice and you can mount a box.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Where are you planning to pick this up? The best deals are in North Carolina and Indiana where most of the factories are located.

Consider Kaufman as a brand.

Pay the extra for 10K suspension and a triple beam tongue, that's what I'd look for and pay more for a used one. Of you happen to be pulling with an old school truck (8x6.5 lugs) order with those rims...you have a second spare under the truck if a blown trailer tire eats the one next to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I wouldn't buy any trailer made in Georgia unless you are strictly buying on price. Georgia Made Trailers has ruined it for the entire state. They build them cheap and sell them cheap.
I bought a Kaufman car trailer years ago. Found out later that the brakes were undersized for the axles I bought.
Recently called them about a deckover trailer and the salesman was a little irritated that I called. I won't be bothering him again.
From your list I'd probably look at Car Mate.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Can't remark on the sale, since I didn't buy one. It'd make an nice enclosed parking space, if I had a big enough space to park the trailer itself....

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
22 foot is less common than 24 foot. 7500 GVW is useless on a steel trailer, 10k torsion axles should be considered a must. Bigger axles get bigger brakes too. I climb out the window of my race car, but my Corvette I end up winching on as it's door won't clear the fender. If I were loaded with dough, I'd have a 28 foot aluminum enclosed with removable fender. I do have the side escape door, wouldn't want a trailer without.

mccormack944

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2018
Ohio
If you end up getting the escape door but your car door doesn’t clear you can build ramps the car sits on in the trailer to raise its height to clear, that’s what we did to our trailer at work we used to deliver vipers

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor