How do you tie down your g-body on a trailer?

BudsJLM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2009
What points do you guys use when strapping down your car?

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
depending on the straps I have available, a combination of wheels, control arms, and rear axle

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Anything to use downward maximum angle force is best. I used web strap side tie downs over the front tires and axle loop straps out back hooked to ratchet straps which are crossed in the back and hooked to the rear D-rings on the trailer. The rear was more for stabilization than hold down, so if your concerned with that, maybe do the rears like the front. Up to you. Fairly quick to do and undo and worked well for me. I also went a bit overkill and put a safety chain hooked to the frame in front, just in case.

1686134981707.png

1686135130013.png

Reactions: 4 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I have UMI Solid Front & Rear Sway Bars. Front anchor point is the Front Sway Bar, same with the Rear. 4 Straps, crossed from my trailer D Rings to the spots on the Sway Bar that the Strap stays because of how it's shaped. Second Strap through front and rear Wheels as an extra.

Yea it's over kill but I don't want any problems.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I use the four jacking locations on the frame and cross the straps to the opposite side on the trailer bed. See the four red x locations in the linked post.

Reactions: 1 user

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I used to drive flatbed tow truck, had an open trailer and now have an enclosed. Towed many cars/trucks.

The simple answer is there is more than one way to tie down a car on a trailer but I will share my thoughts on the best way and explain why.
You can tie to frame, seems logical and I have done it but after seeing the negative effects. I no longer use this method.

When tied to the frame. When the trailer hits a bump, the straps or chains will become loose as the car compresses it's suspension. Not a big deal but when it extends it will go as far as the strap or chains allow. At this moment it's a harsh crash as the chain reaches it's length. I've seen holes peened over and dirt knocked loose from the car on the deck to prove this is happening. When I drove tow truck, I would still tie the odd vehicle like that but after seeing the effects, I would never secure my own like that.

The best method is securing tires and allow the suspension to work. This is also how every car manufacture ships brand new cars. Motorcycles should also be on suspension. I have E tracks in my trailer. May not be an option on all trailers but I'd recommend getting them.

Attachments

• 20220529_190237.jpg
    20220529_190237.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I use "J" hooks with chain at the control arm under the ball joints in front straight to the front "D" ring on the trailer bed on each side. At the rear I use an axle tow strap and separate ratchet strap in a straight line to the rear "D" rings in the trailer bed. After talking with a local tow operator on crossing the rear straps I was enlightened to the fact that IF a strap or chain was to fail the entire vehicle is then free to move, while with a straight front to back strapping method, should a chain or strap fail you are still secured by the opposite side.
As a secondary safety measure I also use a tow anchor that fits the oval frame holes in front and attach with a slightly slack chain to one of the "D" rings in front. Overkill yes but...You never know.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I use "J" hooks with chain at the control arm under the ball joints in front straight to the front "D" ring on the trailer bed on each side. At the rear I use an axle tow strap and separate ratchet strap in a straight line to the rear "D" rings in the trailer bed. After talking with a local tow operator on crossing the rear straps I was enlightened to the fact that IF a strap or chain was to fail the entire vehicle is then free to move, while with a straight front to back strapping method, should a chain or strap fail you are still secured by the opposite side.
As a secondary safety measure I also use a tow anchor that fits the oval frame holes in front and attach with a slightly slack chain to one of the "D" rings in front. Overkill yes but...You never know.
First coulple of times I towed a car on a trailer I did the same thing using the frame. Learned that lesson quick. They were project cars I got for parts, but same physics apply. I now use axle and/or tire tie down method. And yeah, there's a lot of ways you can do it.

Haven't had to trailer a car for a while, but that's a good point about not crossing the streams. I just emulated others at the drag strip back in the day. Never had a problem, but there's always the first time. The straps I have are heavy duty, you can hang a moose on them. But, I'll probably just use the noose method on the rear tires too next time. I just don't need that sucker to bounce sideways, either.

About the chain- It won't slam if you leave the chain loose from frame to trailer. That's what I do. It's just a last ditch safety measure I use in the event of a catastrophic strap failure. I'd rather fix a frame rail hole than roll the car back over off the highway.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Axle straps front and rear. Lets suspension do its job on the car and avoids the movement RT jam described

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Something here that's not being addressed is the length of trailer, and angle of the straps when strapping the car down.

My 16ft Dove Tail tows very well. Rear strapped through the Rear Sway Bar, front is strapped through the front Sway Bar as I mentioned, straps are on a slight angle over flat, not vertical.

RACE READY.JPG

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor