engine and fuel system swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartellCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2013
Damn...I just filled up before parking haha...but alright, Thx for all the good info. You guys rock. Suds n garage kind of day today.

MartellCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2013
Also, would it be any different to just remove the inline screen filter since there is already a filter in the tank?

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
Honestly you would do better to remove the sender and the sock. I mean, that car's had 33 years of crud build-up if it's the original tank / sender. As for the full tank or fuel you can get a small hand pump from Harbor Freight for like $4 ~ $5 bucks to get the fuel out. Also try to put an inline pressure gauge on it too, that way you know you're getting 7psi and not higher / lower. Too much fuel can cause stalling too since you don't have a bypass / return line; back-pressure builds up and it can't push anymore fuel. Another restriction could be in the sender's fuel line, again might have crud / clog in it.

The pump will get hot, more so if there's a restriction or it has to pull fuel from a long distance. That's why OEMs place the pump inside the tank and the aftermarket in-tank pumps last longer - the fuel helps keep the pump cool. Not having a vented cap or not venting to charcoal canister (if not bad) will create a pressure problem in the tank, causing stalling.

MartellCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2013
Well I dropped the tank got to the sending unit, removed the intank sock filter, put it all back together and good to go!!! Thanks to all with the great knowledge. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor