Engine block question

Status
Not open for further replies.

harald

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2008
I am wondering about the block in my El Camino,supposed to be a 350,
the fuel pump mounting base has only one threaded hole and no hole into the engine like the old blocks have. I can't see any casting numbers since its in the car. Is this a newer block with fuel injection or what. Any answers would be great. The haeds on it are 80 -81 according to the numbers,not centre bolt.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
lol im pretty sure that 350's 327's 400's and 305's are identical. and since it most likely came with only 305's and 350's, so that narrows it down, now from what i know about a 87 350 was that the valve covers were center bolt, however the 305's from the early 80's were side bolted down that ive seen. im not sure but can you reference the vin number of your car or look around and see if the numbers match? the only way to be absolutley certain would be to find the number on the block. which may require pulling it outta the car.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
iis this supposed to be the original engine? if so, what year is the car? can you post a general pic of the engine?

harald

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2008
no, not original. Its a 350 chevy, just wondering why the fuel pump mount is not like they normally are, as in non functional.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
It could be a crate engine. You can try and get the casting numbers behind the drivers side cylinder head. Its kind of hard but not impossible and check out WWW.Mortec.com and reference the numbers to see what it is.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Some of the newer blocks didn't have a provision for a mechanical pump. Not a problem as long as you don't mind an electric pump.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It sounds like a newer block to me with old heads on it. Otherwise it should have a fuel pump provision in it.

BTW, there are several oddball modifications and special castings over the years with SBC's, like 400's with an extra freeze plug hole (or boss), the Chevy II oil filter relocation, etc. None of this has anything to do with the question, I just thought I would give out some more useless information that I have filled my head with over the years... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor