Engine charging problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Get the battery up to charge, unhook the cables, and let it sit overnight. Make sure it holds a good charge, like 12.8v or better. A bad alternator can take out a good battery quickly, as in, your new battery might not be so "new" anymore.

Adam Castro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2018
Welcome to you and your son, you two will like it here...that is a great looking Regal....:)

I would go with flemming442's suggestion and look at the battery cables and make sure the ground is clean. Have you tested what voltage you are getting at the back of the alternator compared to the voltage your getting at the battery with the car running?
Thank you very much! Those are really nice and thanks for the suggestion! I’m more into the lowriders! I’ve checked the cables and those are good, and I’ll check the back of the alternator I only checked the voltage on the battery

Adam Castro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2018
Given your run time before shutdown, you should probably check your battery cable routing. It sounds like it's laying on the exhaust- pipe gets hot, insulation softens, cable shorts to ground....
I’ve checked those as well and the cables are good and out of the way, but the engine will run for about 20 minutes after starting it then slowly dies out. Every time I have to jump start it just to get it going again

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I’ve checked those as well and the cables are good and out of the way, but the engine will run for about 20 minutes after starting it then slowly dies out. Every time I have to jump start it just to get it going again

there has to be a draw on the battery, more than what the engine consumes when running. Your battery is new and I'm not sure what the reserve is but it would be more than 20 minutes assuming the battery was fully charged when you started the car.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard Adam!
Have you load tested the battery? But from what you describe there's something draining it or loading it down. Is there any power accessories...high powered amplifier, etc?
Have you checked the output of the alternator with a volt meter? You should be getting 14-14.5 volts at the alternator.
Have you checked the positive connection to the starter?

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor