Engine color

Status
Not open for further replies.

choochoo1984

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2012
Gloucester City, New Jersey
Need to know when GM stopped painting their engines corporate blue. Going to repaint mine the proper color. I have a 1984 El Camino SS. Can anyone help me out. I think it was gloss black for 1984 but not sure. Trying to keep it all original.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I believe corporate blue was mid 70s til around 1980. Then everything went black. I researched this awhile ago when trying to decide on whether or not to paint my mid 70s 400 the "correct" color. After finding out that it was corp blue and how ugly that color is I decided on silver :lol:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I've done some searching around on this myself. While there seems to be some contradiction as to the last year of corporate blue, yours should be black. I have seen sources site 1981, 1982 and 1983 as being the first year ob black engine paint. It appears that by '84 all were black (with rare exceptions on some diesels). I think it depended on the engine "brand".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor