engine help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatso86

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2011
I have a 1970sf 455 buick engine and the crank is in it and the pistons and rods are out. The heads where off when I got it. Got the intake as well.. my question I guess is why did he take it apart like that and what would be the best way to make sure it's okay to build? Do you think I could make good power with stock rebuild 1231786 heads and stock polished intake and lil bigger cam. Any ideas??

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Probably took it apart like that to replace piston rings or rod bearings. Check clearances and look for scarring of the crank journals and cylinder bores. Good luck.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
If you end up rebuilding it, your going to want to consider drilling the main oil passage on that motor. was a common issue for Buick. You should also consider getting a later year(larger) oil pickup. TA performance sells a cam (TA212) that is very popular with this motor.Big block Buicks are torque monters and they come to life with lots( 800+) of cfms. And make sure you go with forged pistons too.
I had a 66 Buick Wildcat GS and with these mods and a few more, that boat flew.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Your going to have your parts checked to make sure they are in spec & no cracks. Williamattop has some good suggestions along with an oil pump upgrade. I would suggest getting in contact with the boys (& ladies) at V8 Buick.com and tap their knowledge. I don't know if it is still available but the Buick Club put out - The Best of the GS X-Tra The Heart of the Beast that is a book of knowledge. Couple of pic's of my Buick - wish I still had it but a guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Attachments

• Copy of Picture Three.JPG
    Copy of Picture Three.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 155
  • 70gs 0551.jpg
    70gs 0551.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4912.JPG
    IMG_4912.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 146

fatso86

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2011
Your going to have your parts checked to make sure they are in spec & no cracks. Williamattop has some good suggestions along with an oil pump upgrade. I would suggest getting in contact with the boys (& ladies) at V8 Buick.com and tap their knowledge. I don't know if it is still available but the Buick Club put out - The Best of the GS X-Tra The Heart of the Beast that is a book of knowledge. Couple of pic's of my Buick - wish I still had it but a guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

fatso86

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2011
Thanks for the help guys.I have the original valve covers and oil pan. I also have all the backets for the front of the engine just don't have the timing chain cover and I missing a slot of bolts. I have done a lot of reading up on the 455 buick oil problems. I just trying to get everything I need befor I do machine work and not have the parts to put her together

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
consider the newer style metal gaskets to avoid whatever caused the last owner of this block to take it apart. On sbc's they're kind of a waste of $ but on big blocks nothing is really a 'waste of money' to protect your investment since it's more expensive overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor