MONTE CARLO Engine issues with Chevy 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
Ever since I started daily driving my 85 Monte Carlo LS with the stock 305 it has had engine issues, specifically it idles horribly and combined MPG is about 5-6. Finally got fed up with it this month and replaced the electric Q-Jet (whose ECM is completely fried) with a proper remanufactured mechanical one off an '80 G30 Chevy van. After endlessly tweaking the idle speeds and mixture screws and making sure there were no vacuum leaks, it still runs terribly at idle and shakes every couple seconds, though not as noticible when I am moving. I cleaned and wire brushed the intake and carb before I installed them, it is getting fuel (though in what capacity/pressure I am not sure) and neither carb ever stalled on me. It also used to (a while before the carb swap) start with a couple pumps on the gas, but now no matter where I am or how warm the motor is I have to hold my foot to the floor while I crank for it to catch at all. The engine is a Goodwrench installed professionally by the previous owner in 2002, as it sits now it has about 55-60k on the block. When I bought it about a year ago I replaced the cap and rotor, spark plugs, fuel filter, radiator, radiator hoses, gas tank, changed the oil, and recently put in some dry gas to get rid of any water left in the tank. At this point I am considering taking it to my local mechanic to see what he wants to root out the problem, since I am quite sick of spending hours on end with the engine on trying to adjust it. All emissions equipment spare the vapor canister and PCV have been totally eliminated from this setup since the older carb doesn't support them.

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Did you also replace the distributor with a non computerized one?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
Did you also replace the distributor with a non computerized one?
Does the factory distributor need the computer to operate properly? I always thought they weren't computer controlled until they started using TBI instead of carbs.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
No computer control looks like this. The only wires that plug in are a power and tach (if you have one).
sum-850001-1_ml.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Curious as to the results of a compression test. Sounds like it has a couple soft holes.

I'm sure you've heard people telling you to swap it out for a 350 but just in case you've missed out on that kind of fun..... You should swap in a 350.

Reactions: 1 user

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
Alright, the distributor issue would explain a lot. Is there any way I can bridge it to run decent without the computer until I can get a new one? A 350 would be nice but since it is my daily time is limited, and if I do replace it I want to go to TBI or TPI from a donor car, which will also take a bit longer than a carb to carb swap.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Alright, the distributor issue would explain a lot. Is there any way I can bridge it to run decent without the computer until I can get a new one?
If you have a computer controlled distributor and there is nothing to control it then about the only thing you can do until you get the correct one would be to check your timing at it's current state and then loosen the distributor and add some timing in to help it run better.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
Alright, ordered a new distributor for $40 off Ebay. While this may belong in the drivetrain area, is there any way I can get the 4th lockup switch on the 200r4 to work without the computer? I've heard having it disabled can cause transmission issues and hurt fuel economy on the highway, which is why I wanted a new carb to start with.

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
some of those cam shafts had a history of wearing out the lobes and causing idle and gas issues if the other issues do not fix the problem I would be pulling the cam shaft good luck and I know some time to many opinions are a head ache just trying to help Jeff from Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor