MONTE CARLO Engine light no ecu

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarateCrotch

Apprentice
Jul 30, 2020
Los Angeles
I still have ecu just nothing going out the firewall it’s been like this for a while now but yesterday she threw a check engine light what could this be she is no longer computer controlled everything is hei or vacuum advanced I’ve only ever had one light on this car and it was the choke 😂

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
My guess is it is mileage driven if you are still using the ECU to drive the gauges. Or it is time driven.

Service warning for something based on mileage or time.

KarateCrotch

Apprentice
Jul 30, 2020
Los Angeles
My guess is it is mileage driven if you are still using the ECU to drive the gauges. Or it is time driven.

Service warning for something based on mileage or time.
Thing is she’s a little bit of a project still you know so the most I’ve been doing is flushing the coolant system I’ve driven her but only down the block and yea I’m using the stock cluster still

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
My guess is an internal fault in the ecu

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You have two choices. Pull the CEL bulb or pull the fuse on the ECU.

Reactions: 1 user

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I removed the ECU as well as the engine harness (firewall fwd) for it along with all emission control harness/senders and controls. The Check Engine Light came on. Took out the light bulb! The ECU doesn't control the gauges or else mine would not work and they do. The only thing the ECU does control is the speed sensor which is located in the rear by the speedo cable, so remove ECU no cruise control!

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I removed the ECU as well as the engine harness (firewall fwd) for it along with all emission control harness/senders and controls. The Check Engine Light came on. Took out the light bulb! The ECU doesn't control the gauges or else mine would not work and they do. The only thing the ECU does control is the speed sensor which is located in the rear by the speedo cable, so remove ECU no cruise control!
I believe the ECM also controls the lock up on the trans there as well, but there’s ways around it obviously.

Also I think you can use cruise without CCC if you are not scared to do a bit of wiring!

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I haven't run across any article on how to wire for cruise on 87s. Yes, it also controls lock up function but there is a kit to wire that separate from B&M.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I haven't run across any article on how to wire for cruise on 87s. Yes, it also controls lock up function but there is a kit to wire that separate from B&M.
If I’m correct, I believe you can also use the 78-80 cruise as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor