Engine oil for older flat tappet engines-ZDDP, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Quaker State Defy also lowered the ZDDP, I bought up the last of the old formula. There is almost no CI4+ diesel oil on the shelves anymore. Even some of the SG and SL motorcycle oil is now SM. Supposedly the Mobil 15W50 has high ZDDP and is available through Canadian Tire.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Realistically, depending on the amount of driving, there's a point where you can make the excuse it "saves" money in the long run to build a higher performance roller cam motor and mothball an original with the trajectory on some of the trajectory of these prices...

You know, for those of us who like to rationalize such things...

Flat tappet cam goes flat, one failure offfsets the price. I mean one lobe, one lifter....have to pull the motor. Break it down. Vat the block, that means new cam bearings and freeze plugs. New gaskets. Maybe rings and bearings...

Or, start with an OE roller small block...no help for off brand engines.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Flat tappet cam goes flat, one failure offfsets the price. I mean one lobe, one lifter....have to pull the motor. Break it down. Vat the block, that means new cam bearings and freeze plugs. New gaskets. Maybe rings and bearings...

Or, start with an OE roller small block...no help for off brand engines.
True, there are no roller cam for the engine in 70 year old tractor, just stuck using zddp additive in it.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; I've mentioned this before, but some may have missed it. Three years ago I had what I'll call abnormal wear on my Comp Cams rocker arm roller tips. So I wrote them a letter (yes that's on paper with a stamp). To my sup-prize the VP Rick Sparks calls me & we talk 5 or 6 times for over 4+ hours total. We had a lot in common, age both in our 60's & we had L-78's back in the day. He was VERY helpful, free & discounted parts, but it was the information that was priceless. We spoke of oil & it's load carrying capacity, that was the most valuable. Since I can't remember every word I'll try to sum up what I learned. Please keep in mind that they (Comp Cams) run dyno's every day, even on week-ends & also sell their own mineral based oil. Anyway sometime around 2006-07 most street oil brands reduced the zinc (ZDDP) content to near nothing, because it tends to take out Oxygen sensors & damage converters. The down side is the street oils won't carry loads very well any longer. So it isn't just roller cam vs flat tapper cams. The issue is how many pounds per square inch of loading can street oil (very little ZDDP) handle vs the old formula or after market off road oils (with higher levels of ZDDP)? So think of valve stem tips, push rod tips, lifter-cam interface (both flat & roller, loading is the issue), piston skirt to wall & of course bearings especially cam bearings. Without higher ZDDP these parts will wear out or become damaged much sooner than you would like, period. So as soon as you change the cam in your stock roller cammed engine & increase the valve spring pressure you very well have exceeded the load carrying capacity of your off the shelf street oil. And I don't remember the magic #, even thou I was told what that # IS where the ZDDP becomes a NECESsity. I even use the Driven LS30 by Joe Gibbs in my near stock Ls2 as it has more ZDDP that most of the off the shelf street oil available. And for the Bronze Brick, I use a combination of Driven HR-3 & 4 plus some VR-1, I'm a mixer kinda guy. Anyway think of LOADING (pounds per Sq In), not roller vs flat tappet. Don't forget your lawn equipment, snow blower & motor cycle, Ole' Bob.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
Well I sent an email to Valvoline, and this is their official response, fwiw

Steve, thank you for contacting Valvoline Product Support with your technical question.

We apologize about the delay on getting you the message, it appears it was sent but ran into an issue when sending. Regardless, Valvoline has a product that is specifically formulated for older engine that have flat tappet cams and require a higher ZDDP. Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil, it has 1400 ppm of Zinc and 1300 ppm of Phosphorus which helps protect the older style engines and flat tappet cams. With this product no other additives are needed. We have our VR-1 in a Conventional 10W-30, 20W-50, SAE 30, SAE 40, SAE 50 and SAE 60, and Synthetic in 10W-30 and 20W-50. Attached you will find a copy of the product information sheet for additional information.

Thank you for your loyalty. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at 800 TEAM VAL or by email at [email protected] for assistance.

Thank you and have a great day.

Mary

Valvoline Product Support

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor