engine proplem just started this morning, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
just got back from pickin my ol lady up from work and its running fine now except it still wants to drop rpms amost to cutting off when braking. wants to drop to around 250-350 rpms when braking

I'm thinking a stuck EGR valve. Find that sucker, tap the top with a small hammer, and pull off the vacuum line and plug it. If that does not work, you could have some crap in the carb. Cross two plug wires, start the engine, and poke it to the floor a couple of times to get it to pop back through the carb. That will usually blow any crap up, and out. Sounds silly, but it works.
........................mickey-d :lol:

mickey-d said:
I'm thinking a stuck EGR valve. Find that sucker, tap the top with a small hammer, and pull off the vacuum line and plug it. If that does not work, you could have some crap in the carb. Cross two plug wires, start the engine, and poke it to the floor a couple of times to get it to pop back through the carb. That will usually blow any crap up, and out. Sounds silly, but it works.

Thinking the same or either the it's the carb - taking the choke plate off you may have gotten some crap in the carb. That, with maybe some bad gas, could be you problem. Did the weather change (get a lot cooler) when this started happening? With the cooler weather it's going to run richer, staying colder longer. The temp may be up to 180 but it's still drawing more cool air since it doesn't have a choke plate. Also by sitting since 96 the float could be bad or something else in the carb.

mickey-d said:
If that does not work, you could have some crap in the carb. Cross two plug wires, start the engine, and poke it to the floor a couple of times to get it to pop back through the carb. That will usually blow any crap up, and out. Sounds silly, but it works.

except if you have a holly :shock:

pontiacgp said:
mickey-d said:
If that does not work, you could have some crap in the carb. Cross two plug wires, start the engine, and poke it to the floor a couple of times to get it to pop back through the carb. That will usually blow any crap up, and out. Sounds silly, but it works.

Works with a Holley too, been there, done that!! :lol: :rofl:

well just got back on but anyway i went to pay some bills and drop my wife off at work today and it was a ok. acted great lol so im guessing it was just some trash was picked up

mickey-d said:
pontiacgp said:
mickey-d said:

Works with a Holley too, been there, done that!! :lol: :rofl:

maybe with a power valve protector but I heard they weren't that reliable.. :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor