Engine question - i can't identify this motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
You can pull the plugs, remove the fan shroud and grab the blades of the fan, then try to turn it over. Their is a slight risk of bending the fan blades so be careful.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
My experience is with a 250 mostly, you can turn them over by alternator pulley bolt if you apply pressure on the belt. This thing probably has almost 8:1 compression haha. I agree with RabbitHoleSS - pull the plugs and it should spin easily with the alternator as described above.

What’s your intention with this?

Reactions: 1 user

Fzeed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2022
My experience is with a 250 mostly, you can turn them over by alternator pulley bolt if you apply pressure on the belt. This thing probably has almost 8:1 compression haha. I agree with RabbitHoleSS - pull the plugs and it should spin easily with the alternator as described above.

What’s your intention with this?
I want to make sure that the engine isn't stuck before i start replacing everything on it.

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ
I want to make sure that the engine isn't stuck before i start replacing everything on it.
get it to rotate, then have the module checked. If its good then replace the cap and rotor. It should run, then you can ascertain the condition.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I don't own a gBody (please don't kill me). I bought a 1972 nova with a straight 6. I pulled the plugs and went to install the new plugs and they don't fit plus my distro doesn't match other 1926 inline 6 engines.
My distro also says 1979 Malibu.
Can anyone identify this motor? The casting number comes up as a 230/250 but looking at other car pictures this motor didn't come out of a 1972 nova but i seen pictures of Malibu straight 6es and it matches those.
ManufacturerChevrolet
CategoryEngine Blocks
TypeInline-6
Date1962-1978
Notes230 CID, 250 CID, Chevrolet
Added to DB2011-01-10 04:49:55 (4225 days ago)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor