Engine Removal How-To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CityW42

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 7, 2011
We're a few weeks out from pulling the 307 and the transmission out of my 442, I've been searching and haven't found one yet and thought it would be helpful.

Can someone direct me to a write-up on engine removal for these cars?

I know there's probably a few tips and tricks to make the process that much easier.

Pretty basic. Disconnect everything that is attached to the body or frame of the car. If it has a/c, unbolt the compressor from the engine and lay it off to the side, keeping everything intact. Unbolt and remove the driveshaft and plug the end of the trans. I use an old yoke from a driveshaft.

About the only tip I have, is to unbolt the hood hinge springs from the fender, then open the hood to vertical and prop it that way. Engine and trans will come right out and you don't have to readjust the hood :wink:

Black Sheep said:
Pretty basic. Disconnect everything that is attached to the body or frame of the car. If it has a/c, unbolt the compressor from the engine and lay it off to the side, keeping everything intact. Unbolt and remove the driveshaft and plug the end of the trans. I use an old yoke from a driveshaft.

About the only tip I have, is to unbolt the hood hinge springs from the fender, then open the hood to vertical and prop it that way. Engine and trans will come right out and you don't have to readjust the hood :wink:
all of the above and maybe pull the distributer cap off too. depending on your hoist

hmmmm PLASMA CUTTER :twisted:

I think its easier to remove the hood its not that hard to re-adjust it. Also take the radiator out it helps and keeps it from getting beat up.

-Soak the crossmember bolts and exhaust manifold studs overnight with PB Blaster if you don't want to chance breaking them off.
-X2 for an old yoke to plug the trans. I use a big floor jack and a block of wood under the trans pan so I can lift them as an assembly without smacking the tail shaft housing on the concrete.
-Disconnect any brackets bolted to the bellhousing because they usually hold wire looms. May also be ground straps to disconnect from there as well.
-Disconnect the power steering lines from the steering box, fuel lines from the pump, heater hoses from firewall or engine (your choice), same with radiator hoses, remove vacuum line to brake booster
-Disconnect throttle cable
-Don't forget to disconnect the trans lines from the radiator too. If they're rusted, soak them with PB Blaster too if you don't want to chance twisting or rounding them off.
-The radiator shroud can be removed in one or two pieces. Unmodified shrouds usually have staples holding them together and come out easily.
-Keep a drain pan handy if you don't want antifreeze everywhere
-Disconnect cables from battery, solenoid wires from starter, tach wire from distributor if you have one, coil wire too.
-I'm at work, bored out of my mind and had time to type this.
-Don't forget the electrical plug on the trans and shifter linkage too

Blazenlotus said:
I think its easier to remove the hood its not that hard to re-adjust it. Also take the radiator out it helps and keeps it from getting beat up.

x2..just make some markings on the hood and hinges before you unbolt it to line it up when you put it back on

Seriously, guys? You'd rather mark the hood, unbolt and remove it (which takes 2 people), put it somewhere and hope nothing hits it, then spend the time to line it back up when done, instead of unbolting 2 bolts and propping it up vertically?

I guess i've been doing things by myself too long :roll:

Reactions: rogue_ryder
Black Sheep said:
Seriously, guys? You'd rather mark the hood, unbolt and remove it (which takes 2 people), put it somewhere and hope nothing hits it, then spend the time to line it back up when done, instead of unbolting 2 bolts and propping it up vertically?

I guess i've been doing things by myself too long :roll:

Yes I would rather take it off. It can also be done with just one person you just have to be careful and take your time.

oh yeh and remove the hood, if you push it up to far or bump it, you may be buying a new windshield, ELCo Warren has an el camino thread, he just took his motor out, im sure he has video etc and some good tips, did it all himself, hood off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor