Engine running hot in traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
200* isn't too hot. That's where the fan clutch is designed to engage so it doesn't get much hotter. A flex fan is fixed and will keep the engine closer to thermostat temp assuming the rest of the cooling system is good but will cost power and mileage.
I knew that a flex fan would rob power but I'm not sure what else to do. I could put the electric fans on. They can be ran through my Sniper efi. I kind of wanted to stick with a stock look and regular fan. I may try Longroof's setup. And yes the flex fans are noisy.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
You can keep the top of the fan shroud and cut the rest of it away and it will still "look" stock to 99.9% of people that look at your engine compartment

This was the "Dual Fan" setup in my 2+2:
pontiaceng.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
You can keep the top of the fan shroud and cut the rest of it away and it will still "look" stock to 99.9% of people that look at your engine compartment

This was the "Dual Fan" setup in my 2+2:
pontiaceng.jpg
I don't see any fans. Are you messing with me?:rofl:

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Having the Sniper control electric fans maybe half the battle, you just need reliable relays for it to be reliable.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Put your stock radiator back in and see what happens. Whatever the problem is you shouldn't need an electric fan to solve it.

You sure your clearances in your engine are good? That can make your engine run hot if they're too tight.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
Put your stock radiator back in and see what happens. Whatever the problem is you shouldn't need an electric fan to solve it.

You sure your clearances in your engine are good? That can make your engine run hot if they're too tight.
I checked all the clearances before I put the engine together and they were all good. I guess I didn't think about putting the stock radiator back in. I Figured the aluminum radiator should work better than the stock one. Never assume!

1badgbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2018
Buffalo, NY
I put dual dodge intrepid fans in all of my cars. Two relays, 1 to a temp switch and the first relay sends the trigger to the second. The intrepid fans fit perfect, are cheap ($18.00 at the junk yard) and they work better than anything else I've tried. They've worked when a 7 blade flex fan wouldn't. The fan is definitely your problem.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
The fan is definitely your problem.

How can you say that? What do you think they used to cool the high powered muscle cars back in the day? Electric fans? No I don't think so....

The stock clutch fan should be more than adequate. The aluminum radiator SHOULD work well too but maybe there's something up with it so slapping the stock one back in might work.

Double check your fan clutch and make sure it's tight.

Maybe the Sniper is receiving bogus readings and is leaning out the mixture too much?

Last edited:
  • Agree

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
How can you say that? What do you think they used to cool the high powered muscle cars back in the day? Electric fans? No I don't think so....

The stock clutch fan should be more than adequate. The aluminum radiator SHOULD work well too but maybe there's something up with it so slapping the stock one back in might work.

Double check your fan clutch and make sure it's tight.

Maybe the Sniper is receiving bogus readings and is leaning out the mixture too much?
I will check the clutch again and I was questioning the lean mixture too. A new o2 sensor is 100.00 and I just didn't want to start buying parts if I didn't need them.

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
lol you guys are silly. I'll echo what others have said. 200 degrees is damn near normal operating temp. mechanical cllutch fans won't engage until near 200 degrees. most FI systems will limit timing and line pressure until operating temp... or at least within 20-30 degrees. and how exactly do you know your temp? are you using a digital gauge, computer and seeing what the ecm sees, or you looking at an analog gauge that may not be accurate either?

I out dual fans in my sierra and for the longest time they were not conpletly wired up. only had an issue when sitting still. had a wire running from the relays to inside the cab where I could ground it to the cig lighter to operate the fan. later wired and mimicked gms wiring to the ecm. both fans ran on low until 230 degrees or ac was on. only then would high operate and never did i have an issue.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor