Engine Swap Help Please V6 to V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
arent you the same guy that didnt know about the intake on the Buick V6 Megasquirt post

gutless supreme said:
Here's one out of left field...

How about a newer 4.3l V6? The "high-output" version in the early 90s Astro/Safari was rated at 200hp and I'm absolutely positive you could buy an entire wrecked parts van with one for <$500 (then scrap it or part out the rest). Not exactly LS1 power, but it's more than a stock Monte SS and roughly the same as most TPI 305s - and it would leave you lots of money within your budget to improve on that. I'm pretty sure the version of that motor in your Monte only made like 130hp, so right off the bat that's a huge improvement... I briefly had an Astro with one of these a long time ago and it moved really well for it's size. Wiring should also be a lot easier since they're both OBDI, single injector systems. Should be able to retain your stock fuel pump and lines and most of the wiring under the hood will be - at absolute WORST - extremely similar.

I know someone just mentioned you can't legally swap a "truck" motor into a car in California... I'm not familiar with the CA testing process and how thorough it is at all, but if they're not looking for matching VIN numbers stamped on your block I don't see how they would even be able to tell. It would be near-identical externally and should easily pass the sniffer.

Nothing is quite like having a nice V8 under the hood, but for $1,500 you could easily get the performance of a stock 350 TPI (and then some) with better gas mileage... and it's a super easy swap! :banana:

i have a buick 350 engine u can get, it uses the v6 mounts so you wont need to move them, 300hp and 400lb of torque, change the cam and u got a great engine and a easy swap!

nycutlass said:
arent you the same guy that didnt know about the intake on the Buick V6 Megasquirt post
Nah, that was some other guy 8)

There are way better motors than a newer version of the same exact one he has, but that seems like it would be the easiest for what he's working with ($1,500 budget, someone else doing all the actual work, need to pass CA emissions) and it's still a huge improvement.

Just a suggestion, though... if he wants a clapped out 305 that makes less HP than an early 90s minivan, that will probably fit his budget as well - and at least it'll be easier to build up later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor