engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
ok my friend have a 400 Pontiac motor. will the parts off my 307 (top end mostly) fit on the 400? ik it will work with a 455

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The parts won't interchange. The 307 is an Oldsmobile engine, and the parts won't fit a Pontiac engine. Both Pontiac and Oldsmobile manufactured 455 engines, and they are different from each other. I'm not totally sure that the top end parts from a 307 Olds will fit a 455 Olds. Olds engines are similiar to each other, but come in 2 different engine families. The "small block" Olds engines are 260, 307, 330, 350, and 403. The "big block" Olds engines are (I believe) 400, 425, and 455. The difference is that the big block Olds engine block has a taller deck height than the small block. Belt driven accessories usually aren't interchangeable between small block and big block, which leads me to think that the 307 Olds top end parts probably won't fit the 455 Olds engine. Sorry for the long-winded reply. Hope this helps.

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
Buick, Pontiac and Oldsmobile all made the 400, 350 and 455, all however are totally different. As stated above the big block olds family is the 400, 425 and 455, everything else is a small block. All small and big block heads (not that I would because of valve size, head cc, etc, but they will bolt up and run), timing covers, oil pans, water pumps, oil pumps, exhaust manifolds (not headers which are model and engine size specific), oil filter and bracket for oil filter, carbs, and accessories (brackets are different for the accessories but the accessories themselves will work), will interchange. Intakes will not interchange due to the physical size difference between the big and small block, the big block is taller which results in a wider intake than the small block. The carb from the 307 will work depending if you have the stock ccc setup in which case you will probably run into some tuning issues because the dist will not work and the ecm controls the timing in the dist (if I'm not mistaken that's what it controls). IMO it would be easier to not try to swap anything and just start fresh with all the pontiac parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor