Engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysons80elcamino

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2012
So we are about to do a 350 swap, currently this is what we got....

1980 el camino. 267v8. With th350 trans,posi rear with 256 gears

What if anything am I going to need to swap. Or will this engine be a drag and drop with what I got?
I'm sticking with carbureted .

Also my 267 with stock intake and stock carb almost hit the hood with an open air filter, will I have any issues with the 350' performer intake and 4brl carb with same air filter hitting?

I'm not sure but the new intake I got looks a little higher than the stock 267 one....

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
To the best of my knowledge, the 267 is identical externally in measurements to the 305, 350, or really any first gen small block Chevy.

Based on what you describe, the taller intake will give you problems with the air cleaner, but you might want to take measurements.

Also, uh, I'd probably wait until one or two more experienced posters reply to this, just to confirm my "in theory" assumptions.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
It CAN be done without it, though mostly I've seen people bending pipes awkwardly and/or flattening them under the driver-side part of the crossmember that does not have the extra hump.

Or, the alternative is the Y-pipe-into-1-cat-into-2-pipes, such as the factory Monte SS, Grand National, and 442 did.

I'd recommend going with a dual hump crossmember for true dual exhaust myself.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
As stated above, the 350 has the same external dimensions as the 267. A friend of mine did this swap on his '81 Monte years ago, and was very pleased with the results. Depending on what year of engine you install, you may have to change the flywheel. GM used a 2 piece rear main seal in small block Chev engines up to 1986, then starting in 1986, they changed up to a 1 piece rear main seal. the flywheel mounting flange on the end of the crankshaft is different between the earlier & later engines, and the bolt circle for the flywheel mounting bolts is different. If you use a 350 that was built 1985 or earlier, you should be able to use the flywheel (or to be more accurate, the flexplate) from the 267. Depending on how much horsepower you're looking to get from the 350, you may want to get the transmission rebuilt, to handle the additional power. As for rear gears, you could probably go to something like a 3.08/1, or possibly 3.23/1 with the TH350 trans, for better acceleration from a stop. Anything higher than that, and an overdrive transmission would probably be a good idea. Hope this helps. Good luck.

mysons80elcamino

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2012
So is there a set of headers that I can bolt on to the new engine, without any modification, looking for a straight bolt on install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor