Engine tare down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
Just a quick question how for do you go in tearing down a block before it has to go to the mechine shop?

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
To the bare block & main caps - make sure everything is marked as to position. If you do your own cam bearings remove them also.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Just as lil bowtie said. No real other way to do it. I'd invest in a set of numbered punches. Stamp the rods and rod caps, and main caps 1-5. The shop removed the cam bearings and all block plugs when they hot tank it prior/after machine work. It's included in the cost of hot tanking for most places.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Send em whatever parts you want cleaned as well, exhaust manifolds, intake, heads, crank and rods, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
Would you all recommen buying new parts? Such as crank, mains,rod's,pistons? I have rebuilt an 350 sbc long long time ago and can't remember the correct process? Thanks for any advice

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
There is a lot of info (books) on rebuilding SBC - I would suggest googling or buying a book and follow it to find out what can be used and what needs replacing. I would keep a tab on what you need to do, depending on machine work and parts - a crate engine might be a better choice

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
There is a lot of info (books) on rebuilding SBC - I would suggest googling or buying a book and follow it to find out what can be used and what needs replacing. I would keep a tab on what you need to do, depending on machine work and parts - a crate engine might be a better choice
It may be a better choice really and truly but I have spent a good amount on mainly the top end of my engine with intake, carb,distributor,cam and lifters, valve springs,clips and all also new timing chain, I have all these parts and I just seem stuck.!! If you know what I mean. I really appreciate everything you had told me. Thanks

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
It may be a better choice really and truly but I have spent a good amount on mainly the top end of my engine with intake, carb,distributor,cam and lifters, valve springs,clips and all also new timing chain, I have all these parts and I just seem stuck.!! If you know what I mean. I really appreciate everything you had told me. Thanks
I also have a book as well .thanks again looks like I May need to do a little more research. Thanks for helping out appreciated it.!!

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Just my .02 cents to add to good advice already given...don't buy any pistons until machine shop is done. I made mistake on a 350 and got pistons .030 over and the block needed .040 over to get bore round again. Lesson learned. That is if yours needs overbore.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor