Engine wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2022
Have an 86 monte carlo, put in a built 355 with vortec top end out of another build.
The wiring is horrendous but I've got no choice financially but to do a repair job.
Anyone with a clear diagram or time to help out with some questions it'd be greatly appreciated. TIA

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Yep understand the issue, you should see the wiring in my 81 firebird, previous "mechanic" spliced in cut up orange extension cord and part of a jumper cable. Blown engine so it's still in storage. Previous ... replaced the v6 with a V8 and yeah it's a mess.

I hope I don't over burden you, but it's really simple.

Pink wire goes to positive Batt on the HEI and is key switched and should be on in start and run, off during light test.

The earlier system the HEI is energized at "start" by wire from starter solenoid as 12 volts full, and the HEI stays running from key switched power in "run" but has resistor in-line, factory used a resistor wire.

Yours should just be the pink wire.

For the Alternator, energize it separately after the engine starts and is running, and is same for the electric choke.

As previously stated by RabbitHoleSS, #1 or the "I" on the Alternator energizes the internal regulator and initiates the process of charging. The #2 is the "sense" wire and runs all the way the junction on the starter, but normally you don't need this. The idea was that this location was the farthest from the battery and accounting for voltage drop this would give you a more accurate "sensing" of current electrical needs.

Just do as suggested and bridge that input to the large post coming out of the alternator. Use a 10 gauge wire. You only need short piece. The post coming out of the alternator is the "output" and a 4 gauge wire should be fine. Connect the post of back of alternator to the battery and 4 gauge should be fine.

You will need the bigger yellow crimp connectors. Make sure to use the yellow ring connectors that fit the post properly. Don't use the rings that are too big for the post. Not only is this sloppy and doesn't look professional, but electrically it makes for poor transfer of the electricity. Depending on your basic environment you might want to use the electrical shrink wrap, especially if a daily driver where rain or snow is common.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Part 2...

One issue is possible back feed and with key off the engine keeps running. To stop this what you do is splice in a 14 or 18 gauge wire to the pink going to the HEI. This wire goes to a relay mounted on fire wall. The relay to use is a 30 or 40 amp Fog Lamp Relay or a Fuel Pump relay.

The Fog Lamp or Fuel Pump relays are designed to be armed and stay on. When looking for relays don't purchase a relay that has "MO" in its nomenclature. "MO" is "momentary on" and will burn out.

The wire you splice into the pink energizes the relay and the relay output will energize an oil pressure switch.

Power to the relay is a 25 or 30 amp fused 10 gauge wire. Output from the relay is 10 gauge and is the power to the oil pressure switch.

Oil pressure switch closes at about 6psi oil pressure. Output from the oil pressure switch is two 14 or 12 gauge wires, but 14 gauge is usually sufficient. One wire goes to alternator #1 or "I" of the alternator and the second wire goes to the electric choke. Make sure choke has good ground.

So basically....

.....................HEI....ALT....CHOKE
Key Start:....ON....OFF....OFF.....(Engine Cranking)
Key Run:......ON....ON....ON.......(Engine Running)
Key Off:.......OFF...OFF....OFF......(Engine Off)

Last edited:

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I rewired both of my cars due to the previous owners putting in taped splices. I ran the wires from the bulkhead out. Time consuming.
Some things that might help you. You can purchase small coils of wire in pretty much all AWGs in factory colors from wirebarn.com. Nice guy to deal with. I bought coils of 12AWG in 10' or 12' lengths.
Marine grade shrink tubing is great stuff. It has an adhesive in it. I used it over every crimp on terminal so they all look the same under the hood. Cant stand wiring jobs that have multi color terminals. They look like skittles. LOL
American autowire and Texasindustrialelectric are both good sources for terminals for the bulkhead connection. Not sure which terminals are used in 1986 but I was able to buy the correct Packard 56 and 59 terminals used in '81 and '83. I also broke down and bought the two size crimpers from American. Were they worth the money ? Maybe I could have found a cheaper set but the ratchet crimper I already owned didnt have the right die to do the males. Just female terminals.
I put a piece of cardboard on top of the motor and spread out the original wires to see what I had and what I could delete.
So far everything works. I guess I did it right. Time will tell.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I rewired both of my cars due to the previous owners putting in taped splices. I ran the wires from the bulkhead out. Time consuming.
Some things that might help you. You can purchase small coils of wire in pretty much all AWGs in factory colors from wirebarn.com. Nice guy to deal with. I bought coils of 12AWG in 10' or 12' lengths.
Marine grade shrink tubing is great stuff. It has an adhesive in it. I used it over every crimp on terminal so they all look the same under the hood. Cant stand wiring jobs that have multi color terminals. They look like skittles. LOL
American autowire and Texasindustrialelectric are both good sources for terminals for the bulkhead connection. Not sure which terminals are used in 1986 but I was able to buy the correct Packard 56 and 59 terminals used in '81 and '83. I also broke down and bought the two size crimpers from American. Were they worth the money ? Maybe I could have found a cheaper set but the ratchet crimper I already owned didnt have the right die to do the males. Just female terminals.
I put a piece of cardboard on top of the motor and spread out the original wires to see what I had and what I could delete.
So far everything works. I guess I did it right. Time will tell.
M&H is another source & they have alot of actual GM colors.
LSWiring.com has some of the newer colors for modern GM's.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor