Epoxy coat garage floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I've been kicking around doing something to my garage but still not sure which way to go

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I did the Rustoleum expoxy sheil pro series

I also used Rustoleum professional grade 9 years ago. Grey with anti slip specks. Still holding up well an would definitely use the product again.
Rustoleum also offers a standard garage and basement product which is complete garbage. I used it in my shop office and it is NOT durable. It is supposedly a 2 part epoxy but is not solvent resistant. Make sure you get the right one.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...te-floor-coatings/professional-floor-coating/

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Here's my present shop. For this I used Wolverine brand. It's 100% solids and done in 3 steps. Primer, color and urethane clear, it is 25 mils thick total. That's about 5 times thicker than the UCoat-it system or other water based epoxy coatings.

LiquaTile1.jpg

Wolverine_Floor_Final1.jpg

Floor_Done_TV_up.jpg

Wolverine_Floor_Final2.jpg

Engine1.jpg

I also have a single stall in my shop I use for a prep and paint room. I also do welding in there and have been hard on the floor. In this room I used a 15 mil thick coating of Epoxy-coat gray and no clear:

Clean_Room_Finish_1.jpg
I have severe shop envy.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I did mine 5 years ago with epoxy from a local shop here in Ontario who sells industrial epoxy. Garage is 32x25, 2 coats of grey, then flake thrown down, 1 coat clear with silica sand mixed in for a non slip surface. You can't see the silica sand at all, it's held up great, and not slippery in the winter with boots & snow. One thing is when welding the little balls melt into the floor sometime. I now use a welding blanket or sheet of ply where I'm welding.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Here's my present shop. For this I used Wolverine brand. It's 100% solids and done in 3 steps. Primer, color and urethane clear, it is 25 mils thick total. That's about 5 times thicker than the UCoat-it system or other water based epoxy coatings.

LiquaTile1.jpg

Wolverine_Floor_Final1.jpg

Floor_Done_TV_up.jpg

Wolverine_Floor_Final2.jpg

Engine1.jpg

I also have a single stall in my shop I use for a prep and paint room. I also do welding in there and have been hard on the floor. In this room I used a 15 mil thick coating of Epoxy-coat gray and no clear:

Clean_Room_Finish_1.jpg

Ive seen your thread on garage journal. Thats an amazing garage. Once my two projects are finished I plan on using Wolverine or something similar in my garage. High solids are the key. Before I started taking stuff apart my little shop was always clean. Now it looks like a bomb went off inside. LOL
The only thing I need to figure out is what I can put on the floor during the snow season. I have to use chains on my little JD when I plow.

Reactions: 1 user

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
I did mine 5 years ago with epoxy from a local shop here in Ontario who sells industrial epoxy. Garage is 32x25, 2 coats of grey, then flake thrown down, 1 coat clear with silica sand mixed in for a non slip surface. You can't see the silica sand at all, it's held up great, and not slippery in the winter with boots & snow. One thing is when welding the little balls melt into the floor sometime. I now use a welding blanket or sheet of ply where I'm welding.
Do they sell to U.S customers

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
I also used Rustoleum professional grade 9 years ago. Grey with anti slip specs. Still holding up well an would definitely use the product again.
Rustoleum also offers a standard garage and basement product which is complete garbage. I used it in my shop office and it is NOT durable. It is supposedly a 2 part epoxy but is not solvent resistant. Make sure you get the right one.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...te-floor-coatings/professional-floor-coating/

Yes sir, thats the same one i used. So far so good.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
The problem with silica in the clear is while it provides traction, it also catches dirt so it makes it harder to keep the floor clean. Catch 22

DocG G-edi Master

Apprentice
Aug 29, 2017
Het Tuffregal83; I have done this a few times and will say go with a known brand non water based epoxy system { dunn edwards on sale thru april 30}. I used rustoleum system. I had the good fortune of dealing with a professional painter for my supplies. He gave printed directions which I have long since thrown away but I do recall some specifics. 1st If your floor has seen use pressure wash it with a good floor solvent/cleaner. 2nd Acid wash it with muriatic acid in a diluted solution, this opens the concrete pours. 3rd I was instructed to reduce the 2 part epoxy mix about 10% with a urethane paint reducer. This allows the 1st coat to adhere in the pours better and is easier to roll and brush the crevices. Then wait the recommended time for the second coat mix it as manufacturer recommends [no reducer] and Rock and Roll. I did my floor 15+ years ago and no peeling or cracking yet. Hope this helps
DocG

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor