Epoxy primer scratch before high build

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
you don't have to sand the epoxy's flat like you would a fill or even semi build surfacer.they aren't designed for a lot of film build more of a sealer to lock down bare surfaces and/or to do body work/priming on top of.just breaking the shine is all you need to do. you already stated about mechanical adhesion,keep that in mind with your bodywork/prepping ventures and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
One thing I read from a primer manufacturer is if you sand old epoxy. You should coat it with epoxy again before 2K. Ever since that’s how I’ve done my priming. Hope yours holds up
x2 via ppg
i know they have a minimal film build requirement when it's reduced .5 a part when used as a sealer/primer on flexable plastic and that's why they say recoat just to maintain the mil thickness.according to them if you're hosing it on as a primer unreduced=no worries.

Last edited:

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Still learning guys. I appreciate all the help. I've read so much and watched tons of how to videos. Wish I had one of you guys looking over my shoulder to slap me in the head before I screw something up.
Going very slow and trying to be meticulous. I keep hearing it's only paint. Don't complicate it.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Please report back with your thoughts.
I've been sanding/buffing with them and as quirky as they are to use they get things a little flatter than the durablocks.they're useless on inside curves but..

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Tony, part of the learning process is making mistakes. Just remember the basic concepts and you'll be fine. Although there is a saying..."repetition fixes firmly" don't repeat the same mistakes!

Always follow the paint manufacturers suggestions/directions and you won't go wrong.

Lastly, with regard to mechanical adhesion, you don't need to use 80-grit to achieve a bite surface. Once I lay down epoxy primer on bare metal, I stay away from any grit that causes deep gouges since they need to be filled/covered up. My usual go to grits once any primer and body filler have been applied are 220 and 320, then 400 and 600 for final sanding before applying base coats. I've found that scrimping of sandpaper is also a big mistake when doing body work. A lot of beginners tend to apply more pressure when the sandpaper stops cutting. Unfortunately, that approach leads to carving low spots. The correct practice is to change to new sandpaper.

Good luck!

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor