Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
bill said:
pontiacgp said:
thee are no cranks for manuals or automatics....there are just cranks and a pilot bearing will fit your crank

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbcmenu.php
yes...if my crank was a chebby crank....but its not....its an OLDS. I guess I should have checked w/the "Doctor" first before asking this question...lol
just for the record.....
http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofcrk.htm#CRANKS 1964 - 1990 Pilot Bearing

he has 350 in his signature so it kinda obvious he has a SBC since if it was an olds engine that would have been included in the signature as bragging points..

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Bonnewagon said:
FWIW I have never seen a Pontiac crank that had not been drilled for a pilot bearing. Even on years that no manual trans was offered at all.
Just curious Bonne, but how can you tell the difference between them, without having them side by side to compare or measure? Mine looks like its drilled out for a bearing...but I was told that its not.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Bill, you need to eyeball the flywheel end, no other way and it's obvious. There is a hole drilled at the flywheel end and inside it tapers to a point, kind of like an arrowhead. My machinist buddy says Fords and Chevies were the only ones that may or may not have been drilled. Buick, Olds, Pontiac, even Caddy (older Caddy at least) were all drilled. He was the crankshaft grinder at Wyandanch Engine for about 10 years, but he saw pretty few BOP's come through. Mostly Chevy, and most of those had spun bearings. Any shop that balances cranks can drill for the pilot bearing and you might as well get the crank balanced while there anyway.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Bonnewagon said:
Wow, that looks like a whole lot more engineering than was needed... I guess it's an option compared to a screw-in plugswitchthing if there isn't provision for one.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Ok so my next question. I have the metal hump to weld on my transmission tunnel. When i go back to install the carpet, does it go over the hump or do i cut it around it. I am going to order the plastic trim, boot and retainer ring, new carpet etc this weekend so i will have the whole factory setup.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Here is an example of cutting too much. The reason is that I originally had a hole for the tailhousing-mounted shifter like you will have but then had to relocate the shifter to the factory location. See the blue outline? That's for the hump, I traced that then cut out everything inside the inner lines. The carpet goes around the hump, and there is a plastic trim plate that covers the hump and carpet. The floor is painted with POR-15.
PB220038.jpg
100_0610.jpg
1475d1085000241-grand-prix-stick-shift-79-g-b0dy-4-speed.jpg

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
What's the best / easiest way to figure out where to cut the hole?

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
The hole I cut for mine wasn't very much bigger than the shifter... could probably trim just enough to bolt the trans in place, then center the hump around the stick while it's in neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor