Escape From the Prison Planet

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
new place looks like heaven to me! congrats on starting anew, and looking forward to the new projects!

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
IMG_1489.JPG
IMG_1491.JPG
IMG_1492.JPG
The 3rd truck and trailer left The Compound at 6am yesterday. With stops, hills, and time zone change it worked out to be a 10 hour trip.
We descended like a horde on my parents' house where some will be unloaded in my dad's shop before the rest goes to our place. I really feel bad for making my dad's shop so unusable so I'll work on cleaning and organizing it too. Also, Uhaul screwed up my reservation. I had originally reserved a larger trailer and when I went to pick it up they told me it was broken and the closest one was over an hour away. Soooo, I couldn't fit everything on this load and get to make yet another trip back down there with a pickup and probably my flatbed trailer to get the last of it which will include the badly needed paintshop compressor.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
All my junk finally reunited.

Attachments

• IMG_1493.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 388
  • Winner

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
IMG_1494.JPG
IMG_1497.JPG

Spent the last couple days sorting, moving, and unpacking. The new temporary housing is noticeably smaller than where we came from so we're being selective. Also, one of the bedrooms will be used exclusively for storage. There are a few small things to deal with house repair wise but at least the AC works, which was a pleasant surprise. Honestly, I forgot the house even had central air.
We're in a low spot surrounded by hills and right next to the irrigation canal. That means that everyone else's runoff comes past me right before it dumps back into the canal. That's great because it keeps my place really green and cool. I love that. The down side is that when the ditch can't handle it I have a delta situation in my lower pasture area. Looks like shovel time for me.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
When I moved 25+ years ago it was such a pain in the butt packing, etc, but once the new house was built and we settled in, it was just such an uplifting experience to start fresh. Plus we moved cross country and everything was so different here in AZ then CT. But that was what we wanted. A change of scenery and lifestyle like 12 months a year of being able to be outside in nice weather and not having to rake leaves, shovel snow, etc. Another big plus was we had relatives already out here because of job transfers and that helped our transition to this area.

I hope you enjoy the fresh start. I know how great it can be once everything and everyone setlles in. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Thanks, Jeff. I really couldn't agree with you more. I absolutely love it here so far. My parents have been a huge help. In fact, my dad was out in the field working away before I even got down there. We hand dug a ditch for a couple hours and diverted 90% or more of the water. We'll check it again in the morning and see if we need to do more. My mom cleaned the house (voluntarily without our knowing) before we even got to town. She's been taking my wife and daughter all over the area showing them all the shopping hotspots. That's really softened the transition for them.
I'll be working around the house for awhile today then go over to my parents' to try to organize the shop a bit better. It's an absolute mess and I feel really bad about it so it'll be nice when it gets back to useable condition.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
We turned down a couple offers last weekend and accepted one today. Sooo, the Compound is tentatively sold. We got our asking price after a couple concessions. One more trip down next week and ill hopefully never need to go back again.

• Winner

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
NICE ! Congrats, although the compound seems like it would be an easy sell with the shop and all.

Could you use some sort of ditch plus weeping tile product covered in gravel to divert the water ?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Thanks. I thought it would sell easier than it actually did. The guy who is buying it is a Mercedes dealer tech who does as lot of Euro side work and flipping. He and his wife grew up in ranch style houses so they have some nostalgia there plus his kids go to school right next door. He's had his eye on it for years so it worked out for everyone.

On the drainage; we fixed that the old fashioned way...with shovels. The neighbor just above me allowed us to dig a trench that diverted all the runoff to my ditch. Now that my ground is getting a chance to dry out I can bring in a culvert and some gravel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor