Escape From the Prison Planet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
20170628_222331.jpg
Life, being full of surprises, threw us a bit of a curve financially. Looks like our original house plans aren't going to make it under budget. Just as well, that thing was a monster that would have been around 7000' if we would have finished it all out. Waaay more than we could ever need but I was banking on the theory that in 20-30 years my widow could cash out on a huge house in wine country. We're 90% decided on a much more conservative house plan now. Still a beautiful place that's considerably larger than the Compound. When it's done we'll see about a shop.

Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Well, plenty has happened since last posted. The house sale fell apart so my wife will be moving back in for the school year. She has another year on her contract. If it sells in the next couple months we'll figure something else out for her, otherwise we'll relist in the spring. Idaho marches on...

My dad rode with me a few weeks ago and my brother came by after work to help load the compressor. We used an old HF chain hoist in the trusses and backed the trailer under it.The OSB box is full of stuff as well and the back of the truck had a bunch of potted plants in it.
All that stuff is unloaded in my dad's shop now. Compressor is hooked up and running now so we can actually do some work.

Took a while to tame the runoff. Still can't turn my back on it though. Did about 100' of shovel work one morning. Kinda overdid it and thought I was having a heart attack. Took a break and finished it later. Anyway, the runoff thing is probably going to be an ongoing battle until later in the fall when I can get it properly trenched. I had it flowing pretty good and the flooding is a thing of the past but all the sediment from my upstream neighbors settled out at the end of the trench right before it drains back into the canal. I had to repeat this process a couple more times.

Still chipping away at general stuff. There is a shed here that had a bunch of sh*t left in it.

That old stove is kinda cool so I kept it. The rest went to the dump. So the shed is now cleared out but not clean. I'll be moving in some shop stuff and parts that will survive being semi exposed. It's dry and covered but nowhere near weather tight.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Between work training trips and yard work I've been helping a little on my dad's barn project. I think I posted a couple pics of his project rehab farm in the Compound thread last winter. Anyway, the roof caved in under snow load last winter so he's trying to square and level it to get a new roof and a fresh coat of paint on it. It's mostly his project. I've helped very little.

We passed this public riding area on the way back from the dump so later I went over and checked it out. It's about 15 minutes from my house. I was the only one there for the 30-40 minutes I putted around.

No idea how big the place is but I only saw a portion while I was there.

Did an 8 hour shift in the sun last Friday. Drove the tractor from my parents house and mowed 3 acres. Then dropped the mower for a blade to do some general cleanup. Trimmed some trees. Still have a ton to do.

A big reason for the lack of updates is that we've been unable to get internet access out here. FINALLY, after 4 trips out they were able to make it happen last week.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Condensed and reorgized the shop a bit. It's still ridiculously crowded but at least now there are enough paths to be able to Tetris (yes, a verb) out pretty much whatever may be needed. Granted, it doesn't look much better but it really is. Ended up with this...

Best part was freeing up the hoist and getting my trailer moved out. We also set up a work area with a bench and all the toolboxes in one spot. Still not completely done but at least useable.

Still, it's 3 shops worth of stuff in 1 so it's just plain crowded. No getting past that for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: 6 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Just a little more on the barn...
My dad works a few hours every morning and it all adds up. He had to do some creative engineering on the west wall where the foundation had rolled out but its stabilized now. The walls are squared and braced about as well as they're going to get. He's got all the cedar shingles stripped and the outer roof sections ready for new tin. We rolled trusses yesterday morning.

Next step is skip sheeting, then paint, then tin. He's been getting a lot of positive feedback from locals about saving this old barn. At first I was a bit skeptical but it's really coming together.My nephew is coming to town next weekend will spend a few days helping out.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I haven't really tackled too many mechanical jobs since I've been over here. Did an oil change on the Cutlass.

Changed the leaky fuel filler hose on the El Camino.

Also replaced a defective newish strut on the Neon. Did as wheel bearing and blower motor on a Buick that belongs to my builder's 93 year old mother.
On Thursday I decided to quit procrastinating and replace the leaky water pump seal on Zero which requires engine removal. Should have been a straightforward job but somehow I managed to break an inspection cover on the front of the case. That led me on an excursion to the motorcycle salvage yard. A couple acres of mine your own gold. I could get in trouble here.

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
Glad to see some things going ok and sorry for the setbacks.

In 1990 we had a couple serious buyers on our house had their deals fall through for one reason or another. We had an empty lot waiting in AZ to build our new house dependent on the CT sale. It was frustrating. Luckily the 3rd time was a charm and a young couple bought our house and we moved before New Years that year. We found out from a former neighbor that the following Spring the guy who bought our house was laid off and the bank owned our old house by the Winter. Was vacant and boarded up for years. Timing is everything and that deal could have also fallen through. We got so frustrated with the housing market at that time that we were going to put off the move and who knows if we would have done it?

My Sister and Brother in law had the same thoughts you did of building a big house that would be the last one and more room then they would ever need. I think it was around 3500 sq ft with a 3 car garage. Was going up in a retirement community here in AZ. Due to unfortunate circumstances it never happened. Life can be cruel at times but you just get back up and go on to the next challenge like my Sister did.

Just be patient and just chalk up all the setbacks as a test. You will get to your plans eventually and hopefully have that workshop space you crave!! lol

The barn looks great. That is a lot of hard work and I am sure everyone will be glad when it is finished!

Good luck and keep us posted when you can.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I might have to be your neighbor some day. How's living in the wind so far?
I absolutely love it here. It feels a lot like I remember Oregon being when I was a kid. I'm 20 minutes awayh from anything I could possibly ever need but on my side of the river I'm in Idaho's largest yet least populated county.
The old man next door has his place for sale. Lots of room for all your projects.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Glad to see some things going ok and sorry for the setbacks.

In 1990 we had a couple serious buyers on our house had their deals fall through for one reason or another. We had an empty lot waiting in AZ to build our new house dependent on the CT sale. It was frustrating. Luckily the 3rd time was a charm and a young couple bought our house and we moved before New Years that year. We found out from a former neighbor that the following Spring the guy who bought our house was laid off and the bank owned our old house by the Winter. Was vacant and boarded up for years. Timing is everything and that deal could have also fallen through. We got so frustrated with the housing market at that time that we were going to put off the move and who knows if we would have done it?

My Sister and Brother in law had the same thoughts you did of building a big house that would be the last one and more room then they would ever need. I think it was around 3500 sq ft with a 3 car garage. Was going up in a retirement community here in AZ. Due to unfortunate circumstances it never happened. Life can be cruel at times but you just get back up and go on to the next challenge like my Sister did.

Just be patient and just chalk up all the setbacks as a test. You will get to your plans eventually and hopefully have that workshop space you crave!! lol

The barn looks great. That is a lot of hard work and I am sure everyone will be glad when it is finished!

Good luck and keep us posted when you can.
It's frustrating but not a dream killer. We're going to keep moving forward. It actually works out ok to delay the sale on the other house until next spring. Otherwise we'd probably spend 10-15k on rent for my wife anyway.
The new house plans are in final revision so hopefully we'll get rolling soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor