ethanol for carburated cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
wow! and i thought we were supposed to be talking about cars.

morgend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
I hope you are differentiating between E85 and 10% Ethanol blend here.

Regardless -- 10% Ethanol blend will make your engine run terribly at first if you run normal 87 octane, because it's cleaning all of the gunk out of your lines. It's basically midgrade premium here -- plus a 10 cent discount here in the great state of Iowa. It's dope stuff, you just gotta let it do its thing. Mostly 89 or 90 grade octane - works wonders.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I run 87 octane gas in my 98 Nissan Frontier 4cyl/5spd/2wd that has 10% ethanol in it with no problems. The pumps are labeled with a sticker that says it has 10% ethanol and that's the only way I know. The truck has other issues not related to fuel, but those will get posted on Nissan Forums and not here.

morgend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
The truck has other issues not related to fuel, but those will get posted on Nissan Forums and not here.

Japan trucks represent.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Let's just say that 273,000 miles of redline powershifts delivering pizza have given it some rather interesting noises. I am unsure right now what exactly is wrong, but it sounds like a diesel and is either in the transmission or the rod bearings as close as I can tell. If it dies, I will replace the engine but mourn the loss of the original. It took far more abuse than any four cylinder would normally take- towing cars, drifiting, jumping, and runs down the 1/8 mile drag strip just for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor