Exhaust dumps...opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'm running a 2.5 inch pipe from the headers to the mufflers and 2.25 inch out past the mufflers. After the accident, the pipe after the H-pipe connection and before the mufflers is crushed. The 2.25 pipe came out behind the tire in the stock location, but what I didn't like was how the exhaust would throw crud into the rear bumper fillers.

So I want to get opinions on exhaust dumps right after the mufflers just before the axle housing. Anything negative and positive about them? Does it cause exhaust notes to resonate more loudly by bouncing off the street? Bad dirt and dust kicking up?

ive always dumped the exhaust right before the rear end and i love it. it does make it louder but i like loud. most people will complain about loudness and droning but i love the sound of a engine over my stereo so it dont matter to me. and i havent had any problems with kicking up crap from the ground. i got a friend who doesnt like it loud all the time so he put on a set of cutouts and just uncaps them when he goes to car shows or the track.

Ive had some that dumped before the rear and would never have one again due to the noise and at high rpms the vibration from the sound in ur ears. I have though had them run out the back bumper and liked that or had them brought out before the rear tires nascar style that i loved but its all what u like, noise or not. Most anything exiting under the miles of sheetmetal under a car is gonna make more noise

cons:
- resonated heavily at certain rpms, almost vibrating everything around you
- kicks up alot of dust if they are pointed down
- the vibration from the resonance will eventually start to rattle many other things loose
- people giving you sh*t about being too loud, emissions, blah blah blah...

pros:
- very loud un-tuned engine exhaust note
- sounds great at high rpms

I realize that there are more cons than pros, but the two pros definately almost outway the cons. I am using 3" exhaust, all the way thru from the headers, so it was quite loud for me. It may be different with your 2.5"...

no harm in trying it out... Just pick up some 2.5" elbow pipes from your local auto store, and shuv em onto the end of your mufflers. You can also play with angleing them down or sideways to cutout some of the resonance, and dust kickup.

I had the dumps and didn't like the way it swirled the dirt and dust around underneath my car and it wasa loud inside the car also...I just scrapped them and had tail pipes made to run out to the rear bumper...ther were bent at a slight angle at the end like the old chevelle's and it looks and sounds great.

Dumps sound like crap and vibrate the crap out of your car and your ears.
Side pipes suck as you only hear 1 side.

This is Copper Camino's exhaust that he had installed after he put my 350 in it.

2 1/2 pipes.

Exhaust1.jpg

Exhauste2.jpg

Listen to the last part when I come back in the driveway.
Nothing like a .513 lift cam with 1.6 rollers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKeta3NZCGM

I was thinking about the nascar style exit out in front of the rear tires. My main idea for the exhaust dumps was to aim each one outward at a 45 degree angle. This should reduce noise vibration and not kick up so much dirt since it will be kicking exhaust outward instead of straight down.

I'd get it out from under the body, mine was dumped about even with the rear seats and sounded good when you were into it hard but around town at low rpms there was a certain point that the whole body just resonated and everything vibrated which was highly annoying and doesn't sound good at all. My ears used to ring when I got home from work which was about a 45 min drive then.

Well the malibu is no longer my daily driver so I will be driving it alot once it's fixed and I'll be running a 700r4 with my 3.73's. So it won't be too killer cruising on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor