exhaust for my 350 el camino

jcelk

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2014
I;m replacing a 3.8 chevy with a 350 engine with straight plug heads and a 350 trans in a 82 elky I'm in need of some advice for the exhaust. pipes and headers anyone know what will work shorty headers are ok with me not a hp engine maybe something i don;t have to spend the whole ss cheak on thanks for any input

Full length headers make the most power across the board, shorties are barely better than manifolds, and mid length are a decent upgrade with lots of clearance. Tri-y headers make excellent torque in a "street" powerband and are great for tow trucks etc.. A header flange needs to be thick so it doesn't warp so try to find ones that are 3/8" thick, no thinner than 5/16". For a 350 you'll want 1.5" primaries for a low performance cam/ heads, 1 5/8" for most setups, and 1 3/4" for a TPI or highly modified 350. For pipes you'll probably want 2 1/4" diameter but 2.5" is the most common and is alright for almost every 350 (just not perfect). Ball and socket header collectors are great- they hardly ever leak and don't require a gasket, 3 bolt flat collectors are most common, 4 bolt versions exist. If using the common 3 bolt type skip right over cheap paper type gaskets and buy the aluminum kind or you'll be replacing them again and again. A crossover pipe like an H or X helps equalize the back pressure on the exhaust banks to promote better/ equal flow. Chambered mufflers hurt flow but sound good, fiberglass packing kills high frequencies.

Many people simply buy a Pypes G Body kit but you can buy a "box of bends" and put together a nice setup with only a couple of hangers. Or skip the kit and just buy the exact pieces you need. You can easily do this for $300, less if buying used, more if getting fancy with stainless. Headers: $125 Mufflers: $50 Leaves $125 for pipes, clamps, and hangers.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor