Exhaust Mods- What to Do with O2 Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
I am to the point on my car where i want to start modifying the exhaust, not really for performance gains so much as I'd like the car to sound not-so-grandma-ish. I don't have to worry about emissions. What I want to do is purchase the Kirban Performance test pipe, and replace my catalytic converter with it. This will allow me to bolt up a stock or aftermarket Grand National exhaust system, because i will now have a 4 bolt flange where my catalytic converter used to end. I will probably go with the Pypes system for Grand National. My questions in doing this are,

1.) What should I do with the physical 02 sensor hardware?
-Should I weld a bung in a reinstall them? Gut them out?

2.) What do I do to keep the engine running correctly once the cat is out of it? how can I keep check engine lights and codes from being thrown?

My reason for wanting to remove the cat instead of replacing with a high-flow unit are due to cost mainly.

Here are the two products I referenced-

Test Pipe-
http://www.kirbanperformance.com/pr...R+TEST+PIPE+&+4-BOLT+FLANGE+GASKET+#7422.html

Pypes Dual Exhaust-
http://www.kirbanperformance.com/pr...TEM+(Non-Polished+Stainless+Steel)+#6996.html

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
It sounded like you were going to put an 8 in your car in which case I wouldn't waste the money. I'm pretty sure that it's a different bolt pattern from your exh to the test pipe. Lose the cat if you want but I would hook up an 02 if you are still using the computer.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
IIRC the o2 sensors dont care about the cats because they (02 sensors) are positioned before the cats. I could be mistaken though.

I eliminated the single tube section of my Y pipe and cats to run duals untill I can upgrade the entire set up on my SS. That was almost 2 years ago and no codes have been thrown to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor