Experience with the Gas Struts that hold up the Trunk Lid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Does anyone know if those Gas Struts that hold up the deck lid can be adjusted? I replaced mine and within a few months they would not hold up the trunk lid. I am wondering if you can adjust the stiffness like on a screen door strut.

pontiacgp said:
the gas struts are a sealed unit and are not adjustable...
You are right and wrong at the sametime. The GAS SPRINGS in the cars are sealed and can not under any curcumstance(sp) be recharged. This will cause a very dangerous condition for both the person charging the spring and the person using the spring.

To dispose of it properly you must cut the spring until it vents the gas. USE GREAT CARE WHEN DOING THIS.
To cut it open, put the spring securily in a vice and use a HACK SAW than cut it open. DO NOT CUT THE END OFF! Cut it until you hear the gas leaving the spring. DO NOT USE ANY POWERED DEVICES TO CUT THE END!!!

Or you could pay a company a few dollars to dispose of the properly.

Myself or this site is NOT responsible if anything happens.
KEEP SAFTY IN MIND. If you do not feel safe doing this than don't do it.

For more info on gas springs goto:www.indgassprings.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor