Extra front end supports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchogp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2021
Yesterday in my junk yard dive I noticed the 4 door cutlass cruiser, I was not so lovingly harvesting my frame horn out of, had to extra sway bars, or supports that run over the front sway bar to the cross member on the frame.... I didn't see any two doors with those supports however, all corresponding bolt holes where there. I harvested them, obviously. Do these help at all? Where they only on the four doors? Or earlier years....

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Most 2 door cutlass cars I've had had those together with the fender/core support ones.

Grand prix would have one running left right between the frame horns as well from there those horn to crossmember ones go.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Ponchogp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2021
Thankyou much guys.... are they worth sticking on? Do they really do anything?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yes, every little bit helps. Install them.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Yes they do alot. Put them on. It stiffens the frame horns to the center cross member. Gm would no have put them on and take a weight penalty if it didn't do anything. It's basic torsional stuff!

Reactions: 3 users

Bigtexs

Apprentice
Mar 30, 2017
Oak Cliff, Tx
I put some on my 1981 El Camino and noticed a major difference. At the time of installing the jounce bars I had also replaced all four shocks with new springs in the rear. So yes install them.

Ponchogp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2021
Thankyou much guys.... are they worth sticking on? Do they really do anyt
Feels like it's a stock option to stiffen the front end
I put some on my 1981 El Camino and noticed a major difference. At the time of installing the jounce bars I had also replaced all four shocks with new springs in the rear. So yes install them.
I got a full ride tech with lowering spring and shocks sway bars ball joints drop spindles.... full rebuild.... I'm hoping to do a little road racing track days....just looking for that lil extra

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Is this the Grand Prix bar or something else? Got any photos to share?
Even though I made my own "GP bar" it will look similar to my top bar tying the front frame horns together.

IMG_20200816_193103387 (1).jpg
IMG_20200816_193127110 (3).jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor