F41 and aftermarket bracing diagrams (MORE pics added)

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
Mudweizer said:
Anyone have a picture of the the core to firewall brace (78-79-80 Monte)?

posted earlier by shotgun:
http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... lit=+brace

I found a pair on a 79 Monte at the junkyard yesterday and put em on my wagon. They definitely tightened things up. I already had jounce bars, radiator cross braces and fender-radiator braces, so wasn't convinced that it would help much, but I can definitely feel the difference.

Reactions: 1 user

Mudweizer

Greasemonkey
Dec 23, 2008
Houston,TX
azmalibuwagon said:
Mudweizer said:
Anyone have a picture of the the core to firewall brace (78-79-80 Monte)?

posted earlier by shotgun:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10783&hilit=+brace

I found a pair on a 79 Monte at the junkyard yesterday and put em on my wagon. They definitely tightened things up. I already had jounce bars, radiator cross braces and fender-radiator braces, so wasn't convinced that it would help much, but I can definitely feel the difference.

Thanks for posting that link!

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
I've been taking notice of various cars that have the radiator to fender braces. Many makes and models , not just Chevy. But Most recently I saw alot of 70's camaros and I think ALL the 67-69 camaros have them. Does anyone know if they are similar in length? I saw a magazine with chrome one's that I thought would look cool in my G-body if I could make them fit . What do yall think?

buickestate

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2006
London Ontario
I just stumbled onto this thread, it's very informative and helpfull. I like seeing how some of you have set up your bracing.
back in 2003 when I was doing the body work on my 79 malibu I had the interior out so I added the GP/Monte SS rear seat brace, that was straight forward and took about two hours start to finish and looks factory as it should. I've added all of the bracing you've shown less the GP front brace. I've added a trailer hitch to act as a rear frame brace.

My 79 malibu is basicly a garage queen that is only used for car shows and cruise nights. However with all the various braces taken from all the G,A and B bodies I could fit on this car I can say that so doing has removed 98% of the squeeks and rattles that most 79 malibu's have. All these braces have made made it a vary tight feeling car.

Unless you are building a race car and are concerned about adding extra weight to your car, or are building a concours show car why not add the extra braces?

Reactions: 1 user

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
Also we need to a later 70's malibu for the Core to firewall bracing. I pulled my Core to Firewall braces off a 76 malibu, I think. But after talking to SC&C for about 30mins today. The bend in the passenger side Core to Firewall brace really take the strength out it. On top of that being made thin metal.

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
i have a set of the "Jounce" braces on my cutlass but i dont have the front bar that goes across the center. can i just go and buy the metal tubing and have my friend weld it in? i can knock this mod out this weekend if thats all i need to do

SLICK79WGN said:
I gave up on the gp bar and here is what I did for my wagon
DSCN0886.jpg

heres mine with a hotchkis front sawy bar
1.jpg

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
I dont see why not. That's what I plan to do.

grasshopper888

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2010
my choo choo has jounce bars and a hidin hitch stiff ride with about 50lbs in rear shocks but 205/50/r14s out front kill fast turns! The 79 ss conversion is where im stuck so far i have bfg radial t/a 225/50/r15 all around moog HD front springs,hotchkins shocks and all new componets...the sway bar body mount snapped out on the ds so i need to find a way to weld a plate in to install a sway bar. Tryin to build an all around car that can lunch hard and huge curves maybe even power slide turns at times. Any help would be great on body brace, rearend set up, body mounts cause i have 2 lose body bolts needin attention???

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor