F41 Springs or Equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truckedup

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 19, 2008
I gave a lot thought on the urethane bushings.Got good reports from a few guys so I went with them.I'll see if I like em.
The softer sway bar and stiffer springs is prefered by some for auto crossing too.I can always change the sway bar.
PGP,thanks for the Moog number on the rear springs..........

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Truckedup said:
I gave a lot thought on the urethane bushings.Got good reports from a few guys so I went with them.I'll see if I like em.
The softer sway bar and stiffer springs is prefered by some for auto crossing too.I can always change the sway bar.
PGP,thanks for the Moog number on the rear springs..........

I'm running tubular uppers with solid brass bushings and eibach springs, the lowers I have urethane bushings and the car handles great...as far as wheel alignment I have 1 degree negative camber instead of the 1 degree positive that is recommended for the car which also helps with cornering. I also plan on setting up the bump steer which will really help the wheels to point in the right direction in corners...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Vern said:
The Moog 5658 will not give you a harsh ride just firmer and take out floatyness etc. Harshness often come from poly in the wrong places. Poly is good for motor mounts, end links, sway bar bushings, transmission mounts, but not in your A arm stuff or even control arms which its often used in with grease to help aleviate bind and squeaks.

what's the use of upgrading the springs if your going to leave spongy bushings to hold the front end in place?....and if you have floatyness that's not the springs, it's your shocks, also if someone replaces springs with 233 extra lbs of spring rate you think the ride will just feel like it's firmer? there is a noticeable difference between the normal duty springs and the heavy duty with only a 74 lbs spring rate difference...

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Plus, stiffer springs mean you need stronger dampeners to control the oscillations.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Plus, stiffer springs mean you need stronger dampeners to control the oscillations.

good point....shocks are often overlooked...I have KYB's gasajust and am not impressed by them, I'd like to find some upside down shocks which will reduce the sprung weight...

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Yea you are 100% right on the shocks. I also have some KYBs but am a fan of the Eldebrock ISAs and Bilensteins. Much firmer yes but the 5658 won't make it harsh or bone jarring log waggon ride or race car ride. On bushings I would say new better is it durameter (sp?) rubber bushings that they put in the GN/442/MCSS. I never said leave in old warn out regular gbody soft rubber bushings just not poly in places that can bind. No guru by any means just my experience.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Vern said:
Yea you are 100% right on the shocks. I also have some KYBs but am a fan of the Eldebrock ISAs and Bilensteins. Much firmer yes but the 5658 won't make it harsh or bone jarring log waggon ride or race car ride. On bushings I would say new better is it durameter (sp?) rubber bushings that they put in the GN/442/MCSS. I never said leave in old warn out regular gbody soft rubber bushings just not poly in places that can bind. No guru by any means just my experience.

for the uppers you might want to try the tubulars. I got mine new for about $50 each and the ride is very similar to urethane bushings but they are greasable and alot lighter then the OEM control arm...I have never had an issue with the urethane bushings causing the arm to bind though..

and the 5658 moog spring rate is close to a large bar soft spring rate for a metric car. That's why I would suggest the heavy duty spring since he didn't seem to want to stray too far from what he has....if you want to go for a higher spring rate there's the moog 5662 at 706 lbs of spring rate...I'm running 660 lbs of spring rate

Truckedup

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 19, 2008
I got the black urethane bushings with graphite from Energy Suspension.I called them first and the tech rep swore their bushings don't squeak.But in the kit is a container of sticky grease with instructions to lube it all up well during assembly.
I don't take corners on two wheels but I like a vehicle with responsive steering and handling.A firm ride is fine so long as it's not harsh.
I got another steering box to put in from a Jeep friend ,found stuff online about using a 92-98 Grand Cherokee box with more steering feel and faster ratio.See if it fits.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I got the black urethane bushings with graphite from Energy Suspension

energy suspension got sued over that claim that the black bushing had graphite in them....they are no different than than the red ones except if your racing a car and the track does not permit urethane bushing the black bushing won't be so noticeable...

Truckedup

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 19, 2008
Energy Suspension's current wesite still says "selected black bushings have graphite" So if they got sued for false statements they either don't care or have changed the bushings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor