Fabricating New Harness from C100 Bulkhead Connector to Engine, A/C, Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
I wouldn't even mess with the fusible links, unless you're doing a concourse restoration. Now is the perfect time for something like this:
Looks like a very nice product.

However, I have already purchased a MICTUNING 12-Slot Relay Box,6 Relays,6 ATC ATO Fuses Holder Block with 41pcs Metallic Pins. See: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M4PRG2/?tag=gbody-20
See attached pic. I intend to install this fuse box on passenger side inner fender well.

09262020_Mictuning_Fuse_Box.JPG

• Happy
Reactions: 2 users

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
I thought I would provide a little update and some more pics. I got almost all the wires installed in the C100 bulkhead connector. Exception being power-in (AKA circuit 2 from B5 postion), I inadvertantly attached a 630 series terminal to this wire. When the terminal for this circuit (in this position) should have been a 480 series (I will get this resolved tomorrow).

Other notes: I used 16 gauge wire for the purple starter wire (circuit 6 in position E4). My intention is to use a Ford solenoid adjacent to the passenger side battery and trigger the Ford solenoid with the 16 gauge purple starter wire.

I reused the terminal and wire stub for alternator exciter brown wire (circuit 25 in position A4). This terminal is a 280 series. Vendor required minimum purchase of 20 for this terminal (seemed like a waste to me). If I attend Fall Carlisle this weekend, I may be able to scare up a 280 series male terminal and use all new wire for this circuit.

I did not have any green with white tracer wire for the choke warning light circuit. As a result, I swapped in yellow 16 gauge GXL for this circuit. Again, if I attend Fall Carlisle this weekend, I may be able to scare up green with white tracer wire for this circuit.

I have eliminated circuit 250 for the EFE (AKA "Early Fuel Evaporation" or Electric-over-vaccum-Heatriser). As I am not utilizing this feature.

09282020_C100_Almost_Done_pic2.JPG
09282020_C100_Almost_Done_pic1.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
Brief update: separated C100 engine harness shroud from original harness. Shroud is completely gunked up with tar/undercoating. Soaked the shroud in gasoline for a couple hours and it came out clean. See pics. FWIW, shroud attached to the C100 bulkhead connector in order to prevent water infiltration.

PS Tar made it really difficult to separate the shroud from the original C100 bulkhead connector without breaking it.

09302020_C100_after_degreasing.JPG
09302020_C100_shroud_greasy.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I thought I would provide a little update and some more pics. I got almost all the wires installed in the C100 bulkhead connector. Exception being power-in (AKA circuit 2 from B5 postion), I inadvertantly attached a 630 series terminal to this wire. When the terminal for this circuit (in this position) should have been a 480 series (I will get this resolved tomorrow).

Other notes: I used 16 gauge wire for the purple starter wire (circuit 6 in position E4). My intention is to use a Ford solenoid adjacent to the passenger side battery and trigger the Ford solenoid with the 16 gauge purple starter wire.

I reused the terminal and wire stub for alternator exciter brown wire (circuit 25 in position A4). This terminal is a 280 series. Vendor required minimum purchase of 20 for this terminal (seemed like a waste to me). If I attend Fall Carlisle this weekend, I may be able to scare up a 280 series male terminal and use all new wire for this circuit.

I did not have any green with white tracer wire for the choke warning light circuit. As a result, I swapped in yellow 16 gauge GXL for this circuit. Again, if I attend Fall Carlisle this weekend, I may be able to scare up green with white tracer wire for this circuit.

I have eliminated circuit 250 for the EFE (AKA "Early Fuel Evaporation" or Electric-over-vaccum-Heatriser). As I am not utilizing this feature.

View attachment 158275 View attachment 158273

Call ACDC Wire for the green wire with white tracer. You can get in 10' lengths or larger.
Doesnt the purple starter wire need to be 12AWG ?

Reactions: 1 user

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
Doesnt the purple starter wire need to be 12AWG ?

My plan is for the purple/starter wire to be being used to trigger a Ford solenoid. As a result, I am using 16 gauge GXL for this trigger wire (all trigger - no load on this circuit now).

IOW, you are correct that 12 gauge wire was used in the stock configuration: purple/starter wire attaching to the starter solenoid directly. I have modified this circuit so that I am merely triggering the Ford solenoid with the purple/starter wire.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
My plan is for the purple/starter wire to be being used to trigger a Ford solenoid. As a result, I am using 16 gauge GXL for this trigger wire (all trigger - no load on this circuit now).

IOW, you are correct that 12 gauge wire was used in the stock configuration: purple/starter wire attaching to the starter solenoid directly. I have modified this circuit so that I am merely triggering the Ford solenoid with the purple/starter wire.

Sounds like youve got it planned out really well.
I envy you for going to Carlisle. I used to go twice a year. Spring and Fall. Used to do a day trip. Leave here at 3AM with my crewcab and some friends. Brought my car trailer and a pocket full of money thinking I might find something worthwhile but always came back empty. Last time I went was Spring '07. My dad passed away that Sept so I didnt make the Fall meet. The following year I was dealing with some health issues and due to that getting worse I havent been there since.
I really miss going. It was always a long day but it was always a blast. These days I'd be crippled by noon. LOL

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Sounds like youve got it planned out really well.
I envy you for going to Carlisle. I used to go twice a year. Spring and Fall. Used to do a day trip. Leave here at 3AM with my crewcab and some friends. Brought my car trailer and a pocket full of money thinking I might find something worthwhile but always came back empty. Last time I went was Spring '07. My dad passed away that Sept so I didnt make the Fall meet. The following year I was dealing with some health issues and due to that getting worse I havent been there since.
I really miss going. It was always a long day but it was always a blast. These days I'd be crippled by noon. LOL
You're not missing much. Car parts are being replaced by Chinese junk tools and knick knacks. What is there is ridiculously overpriced.

• Sad

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
You're not missing much. Car parts are being replaced by Chinese junk tools and knick knacks. What is there is ridiculously overpriced.

I saw that the last time I went to the Englishtown Spring swapmeet. All junk. CDs, lawn and garden stuff and cheap sunglasses. Sunglasses were everywhere. LOL
I remember going there in the 80s and it was amazing.

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
Brief update:
I needed some green with a white tracer to finalize this phase of my C100 engine harness. As a result, I fabbed up a jig to allow the 16 gauge wire to pass through with a perpendicular hole for a Sharpie marker. See pics (pics do NOT show finished product - I forgot to take a pic of finished product).

Seems to work. All I had was a silver colored Sharpie. White colored Sharpie was too big and sloppy. Perhaps, I will stop at Staples and look for a normal sized white Sharpie.

10012020_Sharpie_tracer_marking2.JPG
10012020_Sharpie_tracer_marking.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
Brief update: I was trying to finalize the bulkhead connector (AKA C100) wiring for the engine harness today. I realized I erroneously eliminated the 250 circuit and wrongly described it as being solely for the EFE relay. After further review, the circuit 250 is for both of the following circuits:
1. power supply to oil pressure switch for the choke; and
2. power to EFE relay.

As a result, I need to include a 250 circuit as part of the power supply to the choke (when key is turned on) and continue to NOT power the EFE relay (as it is no longer used on my EC).

Finally, I have included a couple pics of my home-made (see posting from yesterday which shows the simple jig that allowed me to apply the tracer color) tracer stripe on green GXL. Please note, I used a silver colored Sharpie (rather, than white, as I have not yet found a white Sharpie with the correct size and point).

10022020_Sharpie_tracer_marking_sample2.JPG
10022020_Sharpie_tracer_marking_sample1.JPG

Last edited:
  • Creative
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor