Factory exhaust manifolds

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMERA355

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2008
Bellflower,Ca
Yeah ... went to an exhaust shop and asked. they told me I have to swap out what I have and return my exhaust to stock w/ single cat .... Damn i hate this state ...=/

GAMERA355

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2008
Bellflower,Ca
Stock Malibu manifolds have two bolts on the ends, and air injection tubes. I have a pair I am not using if you can't find them locally. You can get a replacement Y-pipe from Walker. I also have a new-in-box 3" aftermarket monolithic catalytic converter I will not be using, but it will need some flanges welded on to bolt onto the remainder of the system. In addition to the manifolds, you will need the thermostatic valve that goes on the end of the passenger manifold air injection pump, thermal-vacuum sensors, EGR, and fuel vapor canister. OPGI sells reproduction fan shroud stickers for 1979 cars. I am not sure what exactly is different for California emissions than the 49-state version.

Hey Boss.... I was looking at the pictures of the exhaust manifolds you have. I noticed that that there is an o2 sensor on it. What year car are they from ? ... My 79 El camino had no ECM. I am assuming that my car is a Federal emission car that does not need a feedback carb and 02 sensor .... Am I wrong to assume so ?

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Wow your inspection laws suck! I hate were I am in Jersey but I do like that all my vehicles are inspection except. However still subject to Dot spot check but you don't see to many I think the cops have better things to do with there time

GAMERA355

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2008
Bellflower,Ca
Clutch ... I used to have a NY state inspection licence years ago before I moved here to CA. I know what you mean ... My G body`s I had in the past were cool with passing because of age. We were not as stringent then ... just safety and if it passed the "sniffer" it was cool regardless. Here in CA, I`ll fail once they open the hood ....

Attachments

• 20170317_140601.jpg
    20170317_140601.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 214

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Clutch ... I used to have a NY state inspection licence years ago before I moved here to CA. I know what you mean ... My G body`s I had in the past were cool with passing because of age. We were not as stringent then ... just safety and if it passed the "sniffer" it was cool regardless. Here in CA, I`ll fail once they open the hood ....
So you have to ruin a good setup to make the state happy that sucks what about those clean air headers with the tubes in them?

GAMERA355

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2008
Bellflower,Ca
problem with those headers is I have to run cats... was told I can not run dual cats ... Here`s a pic of my exhaust ... I am really hating the thought of going back to stock .. Or at least running a Caprice style exhaust

Attachments

• 20170402_135451.jpg
    20170402_135451.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 237

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
problem with those headers is I have to run cats... was told I can not run dual cats ... Here`s a pic of my exhaust ... I am really hating the thought of going back to stock .. Or at least running a Caprice style exhaust
Wow. Be a shame to cut it off I feal your pain

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think if for some reason I had to move to California I would probably either get out of Gbodies and drive a newer emissions legal performance car or start from scratch and build a Gbody with an E-Rod crate engine. I can't imagine doing all the work to go back to an emissions legal car with no power.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The car started as a 1980 V6, converted to a crate 350 by the previous owner. The manifolds are likely to have come from a 1981+ because the 1980 had no computer. It was a sucky transition year back in the day because most emissions states required 1980-only parts for replacement when cams, etc. broke.

That said, I will need the manifolds for a bit longer. I read the instructions for the headers I bought, and they don't want you breaking a new motor with new headers, probably due to potential rich systems overheating the coating. Which means I also need to rig up down tubes to use on the exhaust.

I also have a brand new single 3" cat I bought back when I lived in emissions land. I had planned on fabbing a 3" single exhaust past the cat, then left for less stringent zip codes.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
My 79 Elco is originally from California, I just last month took all that crap off of my engine. They are 2 bolt manifolds. I have all the pieces I took off except for the metal tubing . P.m. me if you want any of it .

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor