Factory Ratchet type Jack spring is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The factory ratcheting two way jack that my Regal came with is not working anymore due to the spring in it being broken. Is there a way to find a new spring for it, or would I have to buy a new jack? It will no longer ratchet and stay in position without the spring. Also, does anyone know where you can buy OEM spare tires? The space savers. Picture is of the type of jack I have.

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 195

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
In this one you can more clearly see the spring that is supposed to be there. I'd rather not buy a new jack if the spring is available somewhere to purchase, but if I have to I will. I need a new jack anyway and I like how it has the circle pad on top that fits into each hole in the corner of the frame so it won't slip off.
jack2.jpg

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
You should be able to substitute a similar spring in it's place. You can modify and cut springs to size (wear safety glasses) Did it fall off somewhere inside the trunk or break? Auto parts stores usually have a DIY section with misc parts and tools.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Those jacks came in lots of GM cars. Hit the wrecking yards in your area. Surely there is one to be had in the trunk of one of them.
While you are there pick up another spare tire/wheel. Or better yet a stock size wheel and low profile tire for that spare tire well(so the trunk will close).
You can see my T wheel with the low pro tire hiding on the right.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I have a spare jack like that . It looks almost brand new.. Figure 35.00 plus shipping. Can send pic if interested, timo22

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor