Factory stereo + amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Hey all, I'm pretty uninformed with stereo equipment. Grandpa's '84 factory stereo works fantastic, and with one of those cassette tape adapters I can plug in my phone for tunes. I recently worked out a trade for a pair of shallow 12" woofers in a box that will fit perfectly behind the seat in the trunk. I kinda like the fact that the factory stereo looks and works great so if I can, I'd like to keep it rather than swapping in an aftermarket head unit. Can I hook an amp to it to run those speakers? I ask mostly because someone told me I can't use that stereo because it doesn't have RCA jacks. Thanks for insight!

84 Grandpa Cutlass z6.jpg
Int 004 872.jpg

Last edited:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Just get an amp with what they call "high level" inputs, then tap off the rear speaker leads. Get a built-in x-over to cut the highs out. The tricky part will be the turn-on trigger: that will have to go to accessory (it's designed for a newer style power antenna or dedicated amp lead).

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
I think a high level to low level converter is the device you need. It's been years since I ran a factory head unit so I might be wrong. If you need to purchase a new amp buy one that is bluetooth and sync your phone straight to the amp.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
I think a high level to low level converter is the device you need. It's been years since I ran a factory head unit so I might be wrong. If you need to purchase a new amp buy one that is bluetooth and sync your phone straight to the amp.
So what does the blue tooth run? Do the tunes go directly to the amp? I'm a little lost there.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Just get an amp with what they call "high level" inputs, then tap off the rear speaker leads. Get a built-in x-over to cut the highs out. The tricky part will be the turn-on trigger: that will have to go to accessory (it's designed for a newer style power antenna or dedicated amp lead).
So to clarify I just do the amp power on to an accessory tap on the fuse box?

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
With the bluetooth amp you can send your music and calls through the car sound system like in a modern car..the only problem that I see going this route is that you would probably need 2 amps, 1 for the 4 factory speakers and one for the subs.

Reactions: 1 user

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
With the bluetooth amp you can send your music and calls through the car sound system like in a modern car..the only problem that I see going this route is that you would probably need 2 amps, 1 for the 4 factory speakers and one for the subs.
That's interesting, and would be ideal. If I had to buy 2 amps that's fine, I can deal with that.

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
Check with someone before you buy as I'm not positive about the phone connection. The way i would use it is leave the factory head unit in the dash speakers disconnected and all my audio going to the amplifier. Put your music on the phone or listen thru an app like pandora,spotify or apple music. Iheart radio would work as your tuner for fm stations.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Lots of new things going on these days with aftermarket equipment. some new amps , such as a jl audio rd400 I have has the switchable option to be turned on by the speaker level signal only, rather than needing a remote switch input usually supplied when aftermarket stereo is switched on.

Just a low amperage signal is all that is needed for amp turn on. Could be a switch to a any switchable circuit Amp power is another story , especially with higher power stuff. Small amps take 8 ga wire direct to battery (fused near battery), bigger needs 4 ga, really bigger needs 1 ga. 2nd batteries & larger alternators end up being needed with more power.

Best control over system including high impedance conversion would be an eq , such as the 7 band Clarion I have . Has separate sub volume knob and it's own volume knob which gives you better sound control. You can adjust receiver volume & amp input for best noise control, the total volume with an actual knob. Can also use a combination of receiver and eq frequency adjustments. Has an auxiliary circuit also, which could have many uses. Could even hide an aftermarket receiver elsewhere. Most decent amps also high high & low pass options among others.
If you currently have no existing equipment, no need to buy a separate line convertor.

Please note that you will Never get the same distortion free clarity from speaker level inputs.

If you're not nuts like me right now, you can get a single 5 channel amp to power 4 speakers & a sub. If i remember right, it takes 10 times the power to double sound output, so your most cost effective gains come early. Maybe fleming can clarify on this.

Stereo is kinda like horsepower. You can get an affordable improvement all the way up to all out insane, dependant on budget, vehicle space , & time. All works together as a system also, matched system that is.. Can also get some parts a little better than others now upgrade as you go. Also, keep in mind that your ears gradually adjust to what you hear & really appreciate clarity..

With subs these days , 1 single can outdo 2 larger old basic subs, but box design is more critical now for best performance.

Check out my stand alone stereo thread in similar threads below. I need to update it, did a lot of experiments with it. Every vehicle interior has it 's challenges.
I still got an old aftermarket cassette receiver with dolby c, etc I can give you if you come get it in Fla..:rofl: I also have a Planet Audio sub amp, but Ben, I consider you a friend. Wouldn't give it to a friend. You can pm me on anything if you'd like. I've learned alot of little things past few months from a few, such as fleming, along with my own research , and painful trial & error. I'm being F-word picky on my work truck stereo right now & it is impressing many people on both volume & clarity, still being very in progress stage.

Also really just noticed you mainly asked about subs, not your full range speakers. You could just get a monoblock sub amp, most these days have the basics you'd need, minus wire & fuse to battery. I've heard Korean made amps, such as Skar or Sundown are pretty decent quality for the money. A Kicker amp I have from 2007' was made in China, so don't be fooled by most name brands in this day & age. Some of us may have given way more info than you need right now, but be advised that good stereo in a daily driver is as addicting as horsepower and good suspension.
Edited 3/6.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Swap that radio out for the eq version. Its a massive difference. Imo about 3x louder. Turn all the sliders down and shut off the loudness button and that's what the normal tape decks sound like.
I got mine out of a Chevy celebrity for $23 from a junkyard.
21f4cb1e22_1024-1.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor