Favorite Bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The Slickee Boys were big here in Maryland/DC in the 80's. Their biggest song was also their most commercial:
Born and raised in MD, and never heard of them. Now, KIX, the Ravyns, Rob Fahee & the Pieces, Crack the Sky, etc. I am familiar with.
Love Crack the Sky!!!

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When I was stationed in Germany I was in a Combat Engineer battallion. Lots of those guys were heavy equipment operators from the South and Midwest. They loved their sh*t-kicker music and since I had a reputation as a knowledgeable music guy they always tried to stump me. One guy in particular was from Corpus Christi Texas and he asked if I knew a local band called Bubble Puppy from there. I said sure- "Hot Smoke And Sassafras". He couldn't believe it that I knew them, but I had the 45 and saw them on American Bandstand in 1969.

Reactions: 1 user

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
Born and raised in MD, and never heard of them. Now, KIX, the Ravyns, Rob Fahee & the Pieces, Crack the Sky, etc. I am familiar with.
Love Crack the Sky!!!

Long before they adopted the name Kix, they were the "Shoes". A band I was in played against them in a battle of the bands in those days. They skunked us. Go figure. By the time they signed with Atlantic they were using the name "The Generators" which explains the sparks and industrial setting of the cover art for their first album. The only snag was that Atlantic reportedly discovered that they already had another band by that same name, so our guys had to make a last minute change and Kix was born.

kix-51c0f3ec48042.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
Love Crack the Sky!!!

Still remember seeing the Ravyns at Gerard's before it burned. Still have my original Vinyl of their first LP. Like the song says, I was "Raised on the Radio" Now, I'm gonna go fire up my turn table...

When it came to Crack the Sky, the first album and Safety in Numbers were always my favorites. I didn't think the change in lead vocalists hurt the sound at all.

Remember spending quite some time hanging with real punks at the Marble Bar in them days, too.

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
hanging with real punks......
Ramones-band-w11.jpg
original-21398-1446666412-10.jpg
original-14080-1446665948-9.jpg
original-19578-1446662213-3.jpg

Last edited:

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Here's a group that's probably more familiar in the northeast. Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. From what I can gather, they're still active today. Here they are doing a gig with Bruce Springsteen and Steve Van Zant

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Here's a tune from a popular group with one hell of a harp player whom I envied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor