Status
Not open for further replies.

blake sheets

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 5, 2016
sanford michigan
im looking to make fender exit headers for my 85 grand prix. was wondering how any of you guys have done it or had it done, the more pictures i can look at the better, and what brand kits or what companies you guys prefer. i can probably squeeze them in without doing a major notch to the firewall on the passenger side but the dirvers side is going to be a different story. i just want to see how anybody has done their headers to exit out of the fender and where it exits. and go!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Why would you want to go this route for what I am guessing is a 400 SBC which have what seems like an unlimited header selection that bolt right in without mods.
And if this is strictly a drag car only then running a fender exit headers can limit you since many tracks mandate mufflers.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Schoenfeld makes some dirt car headers you can use or modify. We used em flipped around to come out in front of the tire as the fender was wider in the front.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
And if this is strictly a drag car only then running a fender exit headers can limit you since many tracks mandate mufflers.
Please elaborate...
I've never heard this before. What I do know is... in certain classes, like " drag radial ", "daily driver", and "true street", there can be mandates like mufflers, or inspection sticker, and even proof of insurance, all depending on the promoter, and the " agreed upon rules " by the racers themselves. With the age of these cars, I don't need mufflers to drive on the street, much less at the track. ( At least in my area ).

Your best bet on these cars is to run them out the front side of the fenders ( like bar50 said ). This will help avoid interference, such as brake booster, brake lines, steering shaft, a/c box, fuse box, etc.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
With the age of these cars, I don't need mufflers to drive on the street, much less at the track. ( At least in my area ).
How is it possible you can legally drive on the street without mufflers?
Around here you will get pulled over and ticketed for excessive noise and if it is because you are running open headers you will probably get your car impounded and if your open headers exit your fenders good luck and they aren't even that strict around here.

Last edited:
  • Agree

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
You can actually "muffle" fender well headers and zoomies using motorcycle baffles....rat rod trick :)

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
How is it possible you can legally drive on the street without mufflers?
Around here you will get pulled over and ticketed for excessive noise and if it is because you are running open headers you will probably get your car impounded and if your open headers exit your fenders good luck and they aren't even that strict around here.
Cars 25 years and older do not have to pass any type of emissions testing whatsoever. Only a "safety" inspection is done. ( lights, brakes, tires, signals, horn, etc.) I was sitting right next to a Precinct 4 ( my area of town ) cop at a red light just last weekend. My turbo car (87 GN) had an open down pipe with absolutely no exhaust. He didn't even look over at me. We pulled away together, when my car is the loudest, no worries. We have diesel trucks w/ stacks running right up the back side of the cab, rat rods running straight headers running around all the time. I put a "Pypes" dual exhaust ( no cat ) on Wed. because it's just too loud. I couldn't really hear the radio. I guess it's different in Michigan??

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Everything is different in Michigan... even the drinking water. ;)

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My turbo car (87 GN) had an open down pipe with absolutely no exhaust. He didn't even look over at me. We pulled away together, when my car is the loudest,
We don't have emissions testing here either and we don't even have a safety inspection (but probably should) but they will get you for excessive noise if your exhaust is too loud and that's one of the reasons I made full exhaust for mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor