FINAL CHOICE… variable or constant

MerfGP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2022
I have been searching for weeks regarding spring and shock recommendations. The information is so deatailed and very consistent from so many from like 2014 so it’s gotta be right! I have read charts and looked up every Moog number I have seen. KYB or Bilstein will be the shock. Seen all the votes and I am on the fence there. Price is more than double. I have lots of spring numbers but just a few more questions about them…

Constant or variable in the rear? Just wondering they are used for. Car will be aggressively driven on the street and will be on the strip to feast on Fords! Not sure what I want for set up as this is my first car. I’m realizing trial and error seems to be the way to go but trying to limit it. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_2908.jpeg
    IMG_2908.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: 2 users

MerfGP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2022
Thanks. Anything will be better than the originals I have….. that’s right. Rear springs and shocks are original. My 4 year old can make the back end sag.

Front plan is 5660 and cut them as required later. Seems like the best way.

MerfGP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2022
As for the bilstiens….. how many guys are using the shorter ones. Not sure if I should go that low.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I put Bilstein AK series shocks on the rear of my malibu and love them. They feel solid but responsive. The rear stayed the same as the KYB's I took off. My rear fender lip sits at 25 1/2". I'm not sure if my springs are original or not.

Reactions: 1 user

MerfGP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2022
Hard to get springs right now so I might just do shocks. I am leaning towards the AK series for sure. Do you have a side shot of the stance of your Malibu?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a 1" drop with lowering springs and Bilstein B6 shocks all around on my Regal.
The shocks made a huge difference when I went to 17" rims.
20230909_153729.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

MerfGP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2022
Why B6 over AK?

Hard to find springs right now. Found the front 5660 but rear 5413 or f body ones are like hens teeth….. might just do shocks first to see how I like it. High spring rates, defection distance, wire size is good info but how does it feel. First car problems.

Got poly bushings and boxed rear control arms going in also. Any tricks for the bushings. Squeak squeak baby.

Attachments

• IMG_7127.jpeg
    IMG_7127.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Why B6 over AK?
From what I have read the B6 is more of a street shock which I was looking for something that would make a difference in ride quality. The AK are supposed to be more for racing like circle track, street stock etc applications.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor