Finally starting work on my 78 el camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
I'm running my fuel lines right now and I ran the feed and return line now for the vent line and charcoal canister can I use the existing canister in the el camino if any body has done that or have an idea I'd appreciate it since I'm trying to keep it ca smog legal

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
I got a little bit more done on my car well I had to back track a little I don't know why but when installing the timing cover I forgot to use the water pump drive seal tool so it came back off and I had to redo it but it's ok I got my heads back installed those and painted the intake black and buckled that all up and I also replaced the frame mount inserts for the polyurethane type 20160625_131635.jpg

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
Looks like its going to be a good running truck once you put it all together.Mine is a79,automatic,with a 350.Has an Edelbrock intake and a Edelbrock 1406 carberator.I have it running great.Did all the inside,put a nice sound system, and has a new paint job.
I am doing a AC retrofit on this truck.Had the old R12 system in it before.Changed it to R134.All is new other than the Evaporator.
Mando13

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
Yes I called bar here in California and once I'm done I'll take it to a referee and it will cost me $8.25

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
Does anyone know if I can use the charcoal/ vapor canister that's in my El camino for my lt1

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Probably, but you'd have to run a hose from the canister to the purge valve/solenoid (remotely mounted) that the LT1 computer wants to operate. And don't take that "probably" as gospel. I'm past assuming anything with these nit-picky rules, and I don't know where you can find out easily ahead of time. I talked to my area referee supervisor a couple of times a few years ago. That would be your horse's mouth for it.

The smogcheck manuals I have say that "minor configuration changes are acceptable" for emissions hoses, and that "inspectors are not required to perform disassembly of the vehicle to inspect the fuel evaporative system." And that's all I can find.

Last edited:

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
So I'm getting closer don't have much free time nowadays but I got the fuel sytem situated now while test fitting the motor I know from reading the crossmember / frame is in the way for the ac to fit so I know I need notch it too make it fit or go with the corvette acc bracket so I'm choosing to notch going that route I'm looking for the best way to do it how much etc I can't find many pics I found a couple but nothing too clear and the location for the frame mounts from other posts and pics I see people slide the passanger side mount forward so it looks like the mounts are straight across from each other at the farthest forward they can go but from looking at where my clamshells go on the block the passanger side clamshell looks to only be mounted further back on the block or am I looking at it wrong

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
Bump..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor